UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2007, 4:45 pm   #1
martin4
Retired Dormant Member

Default Trying to learn morse . Anywhere to listen in?

Dear all on the forum.
Am trying to learn morse . ( The Koch method )and I'm getting to the stage of wanting to listen in. Any one know where to find morse on the short wave at a reasonable speed.
I Only have my old steam radios to listen to.
Thanks all.
Martin.
Old 9th Mar 2007, 5:20 pm   #2
maitiustandun
Pentode

Default Re: Trying to learn morse . Anywhere to listen in?

hi martin , used to be radio tass , the russian propiganda station , havent heard morse for years, not since my army days ,used to be able to receive 22 words a minute ,that was considered to be fairly good , some of the radio ham stations out on the shortwave migh be your best bet , but i think its fairly intermittent now a days , keep practising , is your only chance . regards maitiu,
Old 9th Mar 2007, 5:33 pm   #3
HMV 1120
Hexode

Morse is regularly heard in both the 40 and 80 meter bands, and several beacons transmit Morse ID - although the beacons are very slow, usually two-three wpm.
Old 9th Mar 2007, 5:36 pm   #4
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

I just put slow morse into Google and got:

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/jan2005/slow_morse.htm

Daily 12 WPM 1900 - 2000 GMT

The frequency is between 3562 and 3570 kHz, depending on interference.

There's still plenty around on the amateur bands. But your steam radios will need to be able to resolve CW with a BFO or SSB setting.

A bit crude but does work: place another receiver close by the one you're listening to and tune it until the local oscillator beats with the CW signal.

Ian
Old 9th Mar 2007, 7:05 pm   #5
dsergeant
Octode

Morse is very much alive on the amateur bands.... if you are looking for relatively slow stuff then the G3ROO transmissions on 80m that G4JQT mentioned are a good place and around 3560 and 7030 kHz any time. Bottom 100kHz of any of the amateur bands are full of it during contest weekends. You will of course need to sort out a BFO or similar to copy it.

Dave
Old 9th Mar 2007, 8:17 pm   #6
HMV 1120
Hexode

As far as I understand, My HMV 1120 is a conventional superhet, and yet it still manages to resolve good morse (although SSB eludes me). How can this be?
Old 10th Mar 2007, 8:27 am   #7
dsergeant
Octode

If your receiver does not have a BFO etc you will still be able to copy morse by changes in the noise level when the signal is keying. However that is not the proper way of copying morse and will only confuse you if trying to learn. Also you will be able to copy it if it is beating with another carrier nearby. It would get very confusing though if two morse signals were beating with each other and it would probably be impossible to copy either...

If you are serious about receiving morse then look into adding a BFO to your set. You will also need a narrow IF filter, most amateurs use 400Hz or less, there will be many stations within a normal AM bandwidth filter.

Dave
Old 10th Mar 2007, 7:11 pm   #8
martin4
Retired Dormant Member

Dear all on the forum .
Many thanks for all your replies it is most helpfull. Take a look at this on u tube, a competition between young texters and morse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zkbyDvc3FQ

great fun.
Martin.
Old 10th Mar 2007, 7:12 pm   #9
M0GHQ Max
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Trying to learn morse . Anywhere to listen in?

Go to Google and type in 'Just learn Morse code' and it will bring up a very neat free programme to learn Morse, enjoy, 73 Max M0GHQ
Old 11th Mar 2007, 12:31 am   #10
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

Martin - Here are a few links that might be of use

http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html

http://www.c2.com/morse/

http://www.mrx.com.au/

Trish
Closed Thread