UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2018, 6:14 pm   #1
Edwar65
Pentode

Default Fluke multimeter

Can anyone recommend a version of fluke mm that would be most suitable for a wide range of duties from electrical testing (I'm an electrician) to the occasional use within electronics applications?
I would be looking for a secondhand purchase to keep costs down day up to around £75?
Any other manufacturers or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Tom
Old 27th Sep 2018, 6:24 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: fluke multimeter

A Fluke up to £75 second hand, look for models

You might get lucky and be able to bag a 177 for around that.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 8:12 pm   #3
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Fluke multimeter

I should add that a Fluke 25 with case and leads can be bought for around £25-£30.
Old 27th Sep 2018, 10:16 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

The Fluke 25 (or 27) is a large handheld meter. Very tough and clear to read.
The Fluke 73/75/77 are more conventional size. My original Fluke 73 (Mk1) that I won as a prize in 1978 is still going strong, so they are also very tough, but possibly not as tough as the 25.
Many 25s are ex-MOD so check that they work before buying. Mine was fine, and even had a recent calibration certificate.
Old 28th Sep 2018, 6:34 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Also recommend the 25, it was built for use down mine's, however I know there are lot's of fancy testers out there specifically for testing electrical circuits, EG there's a Fluke that has a current loop at the top combined with your normal V, R etc, being new it won't be as cheap as a 25 though.

One other good thing about the 25/27 is that there's a manual online with schematics and trouble shooting/repair guide.

Andy.
Old 1st Oct 2018, 12:12 am   #6
Edwar65
Pentode

Any thoughts on the old(!) Fluke 8060A? Have one of these but ,Don't really like the push type side selectors but any input as to use as viable modern multimeter!!!!!
Thanks
Old 1st Oct 2018, 8:31 am   #7
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I have four 8060A's, bought when I needed to measure four voltages simultaneously. I actually managed to buy three of them NOS for very reasonable price. I like them dearly, with the only disadvantage that they are formally only CAT1 for low voltage use.

As an electrician and presumably working on mains voltages you need at least CAT2 (ideally CAT3) for working on mains socket use, CAT3 for working on distribution units and CAT4 for working on mains incoming tails into the meter box.

Craig
Old 1st Oct 2018, 3:27 pm   #8
Sinewave
Octode

The Fluke 175/177 is safety standard compliance to Cat IV 600V & Cat III 1000V and is reasonable for electronics use with the 6000 digit count.

And I have seen them for sale second hand for or around the price Edwar65 wants to pay.
Old 1st Oct 2018, 3:33 pm   #9
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

The 175/177 are strong options since they have approval to the highest level (with the correctly rated probes of course!), and definitely not the 8060A.

Craig
Old 1st Oct 2018, 9:50 pm   #10
karesz*
Heptode

Hi Craig,
BTW; some interesting info to 8060A...https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...90/#msg1288190 , http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/ibm-8060...60a-refurbish/ , https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...ation-service/
rgds, Karl
Old 4th Oct 2018, 10:47 pm   #11
Edwar65
Pentode

Thanks for all the help. I will probably look for a 25 as suggested.
Many thanks.
Old 4th Oct 2018, 11:11 pm   #12
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Oh - thanks for the heads up! I see some meter inspection on the horizon!

Craig
Old 5th Oct 2018, 9:47 am   #13
MrBungle
Dekatron

If you're spending £75 and need it for production electrical work it's probably worth buying a newer meter than a second hand Fluke IMHO. The older units are not CAT rated. This is probably controverisal amongst Fluke fanbase (hey I'm a Fluke fan too!) but most of the protection is somewhat dubious in older Flukes as well. In fact the 8000 series are quite scary. A lot of safety progress has been made since even the 25. Plus also with the second hand units you have no history, no warranty and no recourse if there is something up with it. In fact I've had some arrive where the HRC fuses have been bypassed. At that point, who knows what is up with it? Also don't forget damaged probes that tend to ship with second hand ex MOD 25's are potentially fatal.

An example of a reasonable modern DMM in your price bracket: https://www.telonic.co.uk/Brymen-BM2...er-p/bm235.htm

These have a very good reputation for quality engineering, actually have been properly tested etc. They do a BM867S which is rated up to CAT IV as well.

Teardown and review, including illustration of the protection side of things: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/58753 ... it will also, like most modern meters, complain if you are about to measure voltage when probes are plugged into the current terminals etc.

Either that or a new Fluke but those aren't cheap. Saying that my main meter is a Fluke 87V which I recently bought new because the interface and usability doesn't suck like most of the other meters and I tend to go poking around installations in our DC and offices

I have had a Fluke 77, 25, 8000, 8600, 8024, 8050, 8010, 8012 for reference. I wouldn't use one today for anything other than low voltage monitoring.

Last edited by MrBungle; 5th Oct 2018 at 10:05 am. Reason: fix my terrible use of English
Closed Thread