UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2009, 1:25 pm   #1
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up My Radio (bringing the lot together)

I`v finally "interfaced" all the parts I`v made over the last month and have a perfectly good working radio!
I no longer nead headphones as the sound comes out of a loudspeaker that I repaired, via an amp I made a few days ago being fed by a Version of F.J Camms regen radio.
the radio has been modified to take an ECC88, where one half works as a broadband RF amp to feed the other triode employed exactly as Camm outlined.
I`v added a Fine-tune cap as well because at S/W frequencies a coarse tune can miss the inbetween bits sometimes.
I didn`t have any inter-valve transformers so I used a few select Mains transformers instead, I personally can`t tell any difference in the sound quality from my Transistor S/W radio, and not being an audiophool nor am I likely to
I can hear the RTTY that it`s tuned to currently, and my ERA Microreader can also work from it (converts RTTY or Morse into text), so I must have done something right, just don`t give me marks out of 10 for tidiness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01994.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	30150   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01993.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	30151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01992.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	30152  
Old 13th Nov 2009, 2:03 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: My Radio (bringing the lot together)

Very interesting project, well done, I like these homebrew jobs. Would look good now with everything ultimately on one chassis and fitted into a period style case.
Neil
Old 13th Nov 2009, 4:14 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Great stuff. It is always fun to experiment!
-Tony
Old 13th Nov 2009, 5:13 pm   #4
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, although todays experiments have largely been sponsored by Lemsip
Currently I`m working on a Coil system that will enable me choose different bands, I have one here that I made about half hour ago using Litz wire around a small plastic tube that was for launching those mini rockets and a spare ferrite rod tucked inside it (the blue bit at the end is tape around it so it doesn`t slide out).
it has 6 tappings on it so it should cover some SW right down past LW into the VLF area.
Now I`m trying to work out an elegant way to interface a RXN coil to it, but it Seems to work even without one now
I love a good Mystery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01995.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	30160  
Closed Thread