UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2007, 11:52 am   #1
midday-scot
Retired Dormant Member

Default Avo Douglas No. 6 winding machine - change gears.

Hi,

Looking for a change gear - 70 teeth (part 30018/39) for my winder. Can anyone supply or sell one? Or even a loan to have one fabricated? Happy to pay associated costs!

Regards

Michael
Australia
Old 19th Jul 2007, 9:01 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Avo Douglas No. 6 winding machine - change gear needed.

Michael,

find the pitch of the gear, try using the information about identifying unknown gears on this page:

http://www.gizmology.net/gears.htm

You will then be able to find something from the stock gear suppliers, such as this company:

http://www.minibearings.com.au/

who stock spur gears.

I suspect you will find that the gears are the same pitch, bore and driving arrangement (peg), as Myford lathes - they seem to be a very common size.

Jim.
Old 30th Jul 2007, 8:18 pm   #3
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

As a point of interest, I had my lathe and my Douglas Wave Winder in the same place for the first time in ages at the weekend.

The gears used on the wave winder (so I should think the same applies to the No6), are NOT the same as Myford change wheels. They have a smaller internal bore, and are of finer pitch, though they do use a simple peg to drive them.

When I manage to unpack the shipping container that now contains all my radion and test equipment, I'll try and make some decent measurements of the gears.

Jim.
Old 30th Jul 2007, 11:12 pm   #4
Station X

Michael.

I have one of these coil winders. I've just meshed two 60 teeth gears together and measured the distance between their centres as 2 1/2", so this will be the Pitch Circle Diameter (P.C.D)

The Diametral Pitch (DP) is given by number of teeth divided by PCD. In this case 60/2.5 which gives a DP of 24.

Gears must have the same DP if they're to mesh together, so a 70 tooth gear will have a PCD of 2.917".

You'll know the thickness of the gear from the gears which you do have, so you should be able to find something suitable in the attached leaflet. No doubt there are companies in Australia selling similar items.

You could use an existing gear as a jig to drill the drive holes in the new one.

You'd be well advised to check my figures against your own gears just in case mine are different to yours.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spurgears_24dp[1].pdf (223.2 KB, 380 views)

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread