UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2018, 1:35 pm   #1
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default B9A valveholder query

Just finished a transmitter project (60m AM) and used some NOS B9A valve holders.

They all have a small dome or raised centre piece, so from the side the valves don't look fully seated. They're perfectly OK but just wondered what the purpose of such a design is. Other valve holders are flat, so the valves sit snugly down. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_122649[1].jpg
Views:	120
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	173281   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_122630[1].jpg
Views:	134
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	173282  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 2:23 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: B9A valveholder query

Just a guess: it avoids the socket for each pin pressing right up to the glass and potentially cracking the glass by sideways force. Other types of valveholder sometimes achieved this by the sockets having plenty of room to float in the moulding, or by the end of the socket being rounded outwards.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 3:07 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

As Dave says but also more importantly it allows some airflow to cool the valve button base.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 7:04 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

McMurdo made their valveholders like this. I've often wondered, too!
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 7:41 pm   #5
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Thanks for the info everyone. It crossed my mind about the heat/air circulation aspect, but why wouldn't it be a standard if it was an advantage?

Anyway, there are all sorts of minor differences between manufactures, this is just another one I guess. It wasn't until after I wired them all up and put valves in that I noticed, and wondered if they'd been made for a specific job. Seems not.

Ian
Closed Thread