UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2007, 11:13 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Values for manpack sets 38/31 etc?

I am urgently trying to find out the value of some military sets as I have been offered a job lot but only wanted the R209 as it looks fun so would want to sell the rest on and don't want them to end up abandoned in my garage. The sets are:
- WS31 with battery pack (a bit battered)
- WS31 (a bit battered)
- 2x WS38mk2 (mainly dirt and a little surface rust)
- WS38mk3 with calibrator (less battered but cables damaged/missing)
- R209 (knob, locking mechanism and all front panel screws missing, was working about 30yrs ago!)
- GRR-5 which is an R174 case and PSU (a bit battered and very dirty, missing speaker)

The 38's and 31's look untouched insides, the R209 may have had some work, the R174 needs some!
Ebay comes up with nothing!!! ...Peter
Old 9th Mar 2007, 11:16 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Values for manpack sets 38/31 etc?

WS38 generally go for about 20-30 quid, WS31 struggle to sell at all! - R209 is about £50 - GRR5?

Cheers
Sean
Old 9th Mar 2007, 11:47 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

Thanks so much for the prompt response Sean. The AN/GRR-5 is a late 50's US model and is supposed to look like this http://www.antiqueradio.org/angrr-5.htm only this one has no speaker and not much paint! Bulkier and lower spec. than the R209.

The R209 with it's integral PSU seems a very neat package with seemingly impeccable build quality although servicing looked like it could be a nightmare.

Given they could hardly be described as good condition it sounds like I could end up with a garage full then!!!
Old 10th Mar 2007, 8:55 am   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, after looking at the GRR5, you might find a home for that somewhere quite close to me.........

It looks quite interesting

Cheers
Sean
Old 10th Mar 2007, 11:43 am   #5
PJL
Dekatron

Sean, sent you a PM...don't go getting the wrong ideas based on those pretty pictures...it did look serviceable but I doubt the cables were there...Peter
Old 13th Mar 2007, 10:34 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

And here are some pics of the AN/GRR-5 after a scrub-up. The white dots appear to be part of the camouflaging as they are most evident where the speaker is missing. The case has taken a bit of a beating underneath and the fixed station bit has a cracked glass and is dirty underneath. Inside looks complete although a little dusty from the missing speaker. The unit interconnect cable insulation has gone so needs rewiring otherwise looks like a new speaker and it should be up & running. Now that's a seriously over-designed PSU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANGRR5 Units.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	8729   Click image for larger version

Name:	R174 Works.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	8730   Click image for larger version

Name:	ANGRR5.jpg
Views:	145