UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2014, 12:19 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: 1 Amp mains Cable

It depends on whether equipment or personal safety is involved. And on the equipment and whether you are working live etc etc.

I would say that any unearthed soldering iron should be fed from an isolation transformer.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st May 2014, 4:55 pm   #22
threeseven
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
At one time it was important not to earth a soldering iron. Something must have changed.
Product liability is what has changed. A fault that shorts the element core to the shaft could be fatal. I had an immersion heater element do that a few years back, the RCD tripped along with the circuit MCB.
Old 1st May 2014, 8:13 pm   #23
Dickie
Octode

Its not only about safety. We had a major issue at work some years ago where the leakage current through an unearthed tip was destroying static-sensitive components.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 2nd May 2014, 6:47 pm   #24
McMurdo
Dekatron

Earth it if you value your life
Old 11th May 2014, 10:30 pm   #25
unabridged
Tetrode

Thumbs down Re: 1 Amp mains Cable

My old bench tester used to have 0.25mm flex on it! I changed it as it was quite tatty and really, 0.25mm feels far too fragile for use, especially on An iron! I used 0.5mm when rewiring my antex. It's readily available so would probably be the best option!
Old 12th May 2014, 8:44 am   #26
sp10mk11
Octode

Earthing

I never work on live circuitry I haven't got that doddery to forget yet.
and as I only ever work on analogue circuitry it should be ok non earthed, I think two core is the route to go, the silicon cable seems a better compromise rather than standard 3 core cable but so far for what I want it is too expensive.

days gone by you could use a bit of wet string and connect it to the ceiling light with no complaints from health and safety

Thanks lads for all your input on this subject
Gary
Old 12th May 2014, 1:45 pm   #27
Restoration73
Nonode

Farnell Instruments used it on much of their low power equipment. I have the end of an
RS reel of what was sold then, pvc 3-core "New" colours, grey sheath diameter about 4mm. So there must be some out there.
Old 13th May 2014, 12:04 am   #28
unabridged
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
Farnell Instruments used it on much of their low power equipment. I have the end of an
RS reel of what was sold then, pvc 3-core "New" colours, grey sheath diameter about 4mm. So there must be some out there.
This is the stuff I have on my old Farnell low current variable PSU - contrary to my last post I actually hadn't rewired it even though I thought I had - maybe i am getting old and doddery at the grand age of 24

I've only ever seen it new colours, I assume it was made early to late 70's and probably phased out near the 80's (going by the type and age of various pieces of kit I have seen it on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't think this is legal, as it won't be possible to protect against a fire using a plug fuse. The fuse must always blow before the mains cable has time to overheat if there's a fault.
Actually Paul in response to this, in practice the flex could be protected if it is indeed rated at 1a. My bench supply with the "very thin" flex on it has an RS brand, kitemarked BS1362 1 amp standard plug fuse in the plug - and indeed I have seen a few handfuls of them in stores at work.

Granted not common nowadays and I definitely wouldn't use flex that thin, but the theory is the same as using a 3a fuse to protect 3a rated 0.5mm flex.
Old 17th May 2014, 7:41 pm   #29
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

I have about 6ft left of 3 core 0.25 if you want if for free? P.M to follow .
Old 18th May 2014, 10:46 pm   #30
Alistair D
Nonode

If this cable is not taken I would love to have it for the restoration of My Marconi TF1041C

Al
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:12 pm   #31
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Sorry , It has gone now Thanks
Closed Thread