UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2018, 10:22 am   #1
Dyna-Z-1
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Panasonic NV-FS 200B Fizz/click

Hi, my first post and I should say I am not an electronics person,I was a motor engineer/tutor (my hobby is restoring Classic cars and in winter fiddling with classic cameras.
BUT, now retired I want to edit all my S-VHS tapes of the family etc, saved for when I had enough time. My almost unused N-VSF 200 B (bought some years ago to do this)was sitting in my 'den' power cable 'in' but not 'ON'
Occasionally I would press 'on' to check and it powered up/lit up, then switched it 'Off' (back to standby?)
Now it has gone sick. just tiny flashing 0.00 in screen.
I have removed the top and the cover of power supply to provide some diagnostic evidence.
On carefully re-inserting the power cable there is a tiny fizz sound, from area rear of power supply and a very tiny 'click' area rear of display panel.( they are very slight, need ear just above area!)

Switching 'on' (it clicks as normal) the channel no. can be changed, also the clock and program buttons light up, (dimly/flashing). Switching 'Off' no response...just have to pull power cable.

Not asking for how to fix it....I know my limitations on vehicle wiring!
I would value the comments from experts and hopefully the link to a competent repairer.
I noticed looking back on this site two names who were aware of NV-FS problems....gezza123 and welsh anorack ?
Sorry it is so long winded, any comments gratefully accepted.
Dyna-Z-1
Old 19th Aug 2018, 2:15 pm   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-FS 200B Fizz/click

Hi, welcome to the forum! I vaguely recall having a very similar issue with an NV-FS100 which turned out to be the main regulator inside the power supply that was at fault. It was just my luck that it failed not long after the entire PSU had blanket replacement of all primary and secondary capacitors!

I'm not sure if this model has a beeper fitted, which might be the cause of the 'click' type sound emanating from the front. If I recall, normally you'd hear a 'beep' on certain functions, just like a digital watch.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 4:22 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Greetings from a fellow Wirralian! Unfortunately I'm not around right now to help in person.

These are excellent machines but the power supplies by now will need overhauling. As John says, there are a number of capacitors which must be replaced - I must add, by quality 105ยบ parts as they have a hard life. The dim display also suggests there are caps past their best.

I have also had problems with regulators and there is a zener diode which goes short if the rail(s) go high due to said caps being out of spec. At least you have occasionally powered yours up, which is better than leaving it either on permanently (or disconnected!).

Before worrying too much about the power supply, maybe it just needs leaving on for a couple of hours to revive. Does the remote do anything?
Old 19th Aug 2018, 6:03 pm   #4
Dyna-Z-1
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your comments, Yes the noise on pressing the 'on' is a bleep, different to the tiny 'click' near display on powering up. My v limited electrical (camera) experience of fizzing noise was due to poor solder joint 'burning' the copper on circuit board ? Bad for repair?
it was, for better or worse? always plugged in for last 10 years,just occasionally switched on for few minuets.
Changing caps (none of those I could see were 'popped' ) is beyond me,I need to find a competent repairer, very sad, the machine has had virtually no use awaiting the time to do editing. There is one on Ebay....maybe worth bidding on for parts....but I do not have skills to swop bits !!!
Again, advice to find a repairer is probably my best route, back to you guys, anyway thanks for prompt reply.
Dyna-Z-1
Old 19th Aug 2018, 7:29 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Try posting in this section: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145
Old 20th Aug 2018, 9:53 am   #6
Dyna-Z-1
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, in absence of repairer contacts I have 'carefully' removed the power supply to investigate the source of buzzing (normally a dry/burning joint?)
Underside of board looks clean as whistle (virtually unused VCR)
I see no solder (clean) in middle pin at P1/P2 and also top pin at Q1.... maybe intended to be unsoldered?
Other than that my scan with magnify glass revealed no overheating to my untrained eye.
the power supply number is VEK 5830, board no. 3925KS 6
I am tempted to bid on a used NV-SF on Ebay for the power supply....but... it might be going down?
I could send my power supply off to repairer for testing, but of course there may be another problem elsewhere ?
any thought welcome...do no want to mess up with my soldering iron... know my limitations, eyes not so good now at 76 !
thanks
Dyna-Z-1
Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:27 pm   #7
Dyna-Z-1
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Ben, well my plea for help has found a sympathetic ear and I will deliver the deck to one of your members in next week, I assume he will have access to all the invaluable tips found on this useful forum. thanks for the advice, keep you informed in due course !
regards Dyna-Z-1
Closed Thread