UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2018, 8:01 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Murphy V136.

One of the strangest TV sets ever made is the Murphy V136 of 1948.
This example shown in the attachments has been "repurposed" possibly for sale to a hipster.
Check out the unusual fuse panel, it's mounted on the HT rectifier valveholder.
According to the service manual later V134 and V136 sets were modified with the addition of surge limiting resistors in series with the anodes of the UU8 HT rectifier. Concurrent with the resistors a new mains transformer was fitted with a higher output to compensate for the voltage drop across the new resistors.
It's likely the set we're discussing does not have the surge limiting resistors and was possibly equipped at a later date with the strange fuse panel. The Mazda UU8 was well known for internal flashover and short circuits

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0190.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	161595   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0191.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	161596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0193.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	161597  
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 8:13 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Murphy V136.

A very odd chassis even for Murphy. Whatever possessed them? Two huge 6P28 line output valves and a single frame output/oscillator valve with the scan coils forming part of the oscillator circuit.

The only TRF Murphy. Fun now of course but what were they thinking....

That early pre 1951 UU8 being metalized, is likely to be the original. It looks like it has been out in the sun too long. MADNESS! John.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 9:14 pm   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
This example shown in the attachments has been "repurposed" possibly for sale to a hipster.
[DFWB.
Why would anyone do that to such a rare set? I don't really see what the point is? Who would want a badly half painted cabinet with a big hole in the front ? Is the chassis dumped on the floor in front of it part of the repurposing ? as some sort of curio... I really don't get it its just a hideous mess in my eyes ! Anyone having it for display would surely be at risk of flying glass if they dropped something on the exposed CRT?
"upcycling" uurgh the word makes me shudder! I have seen horrendously painted radiograms with and without the electronics vintage radio sets painted in Union jack flags and some vintage record players recovered or painted lurid colours...
Poor old Murphy !
Rich.
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 11:29 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"Is the chassis dumped on the floor in front of it part of the repurposing ? as some sort of curio... I really don't get it its just a hideous mess in my eyes ! Anyone having it for display would surely be at risk of flying glass if they dropped something on the exposed CRT?"
"upcycling" uurgh the word makes me shudder!
Hi Slidertogrid,
The chassis was removed in the workshop and placed in front of the cabinet just for the photo.
More pictures of the chassis. I reckon it's restorable.
In the first attachment the cabinet of the unfortunate Decca 121 can be seen, another victim of repurposing. What I have seen of most of this repurposing or upcycled stuff is that the paint looks as if it had been applied with a lavatory brush.

The third attachment shows the frame scanning assembly, a similar arrangement was used on Baird TV receivers.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0195.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	161602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0199.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	161603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0196.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	161604  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 7:35 am   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

Oh I see. I thought the picture was where you had seen it in some sort of antiques emporium. I didn't realise you had saved it! Well done for that!
I recognise the chassis as one featured in the 1950's Practical television magazines. I have a pile that my Grandfather gave me way back. I'm sure there is one of these chassis fairly heavily dismantled on the front cover of one of them.
This upcycle thing beats me, especially as you say the repainting is usually done badly, thickly with runs. I can understand having a non working old T.V or radio in a trendy location as an example of design but badly painted white? it just looks a mess.
I look forward to seeing the set restored to it's former glory!

Rich.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 8:21 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Is that a 'magic eye' pointing forwards David? Maybe a PEN45M..

I was chatting to a guy a few weeks back. He said there was a craze for old electronic items such as signal generators and capacitor bridges to be turned into table lamps. They just cut the mains lead off, screw or more likely glue a batten holder to the top of it and hey presto you have a trendy table lamp that can be sold in London shops for exorbitant prices.

This may be a common occurrence in the future and may pose more of a threat to our restorations than damp and woodworm.

That 134/6 looks very clean David. Just needs a good sort out and some valves. I have some spare 6P28's if you need a couple.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 1:16 pm   #7
beery
Heptode

David,
that set has got real potential to become a superb restoration. It looks rust free, let's hope there are no nasty surprises underneath all that paint.
I wonder if the Mazda airbag is any good?

Another thing about this chassis, for those that don't know it, the input winding of the mains transformer has a centre tap that connects to the chassis, which enabled a full wave rectifier to be used without a bulky isolation transformer. However, this does mean that the chassis is always at half mains potential. Whilst having the 0v line at half mains was common in colour sets until scart sockets came along, such a set would not have a bulky metal chassis all at half mains unlike the V136. I seem to recall seeing the manual at Gerry's had a scull and cross bones on it. I wonder how many TV engineers got a nip from one?

Cheers
Andy
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 8:14 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, is it something with Murphy's?
Did this one also come from Steve the antiques dealer (you remember the pink baffle board?)

Ed
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 8:54 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Ed,
It was donated to me by another forum member.
I well remember the pink A146 baffle radio. I'm sure there was another A146 that also received the repurpose treatment.

DFWB.
Old 25th Apr 2018, 7:19 pm   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

Good luck with the set David, mine is still awaiting attention after the frame collapsed, I fear it could be those strange scan coils

Mark
Old 25th Apr 2018, 8:14 pm   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Mark,
There must be many thousands of turns in the frame output transformer. Let's hope it's OK in both sets. It's a strange circuit, but somehow I don't believe this frame timebase circuit is a result of cost cutting, quite simply the designers wished to try something different.

DFWB.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 4:33 pm   #12
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
There must be many thousands of turns in the frame output transformer. Let's hope it's OK in both sets.
I do hope so David, my set was really getting there after a total rewire.
The frame coils were very noisy but working fine prior to the frame collapse.

I notice yours has the straight front legs, my set has the bent type legs that apparently were not supposed to be fitted to production models?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1120771.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	161865  
Old 26th Apr 2018, 4:46 pm   #13
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Mark,
Before any electrical work commences on the V136 I'm tempted to rid the poor thing of that awful paint job.
Not sure about those legs on my set, has someone replaced the bent wood originals with ones you see attached my cabinet?

DFWB.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 5:40 pm   #14
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi David,
The legs on your set are the originals, unlike the 'finish' that some idiot thought was 'cool'
It beggars belief that someone did this to such a rare set.
I would certainly give priority to stripping the cabinet back, I take it you have the speaker baffle?

Mark
Closed Thread