UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2017, 9:35 pm   #1
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Default Videostar 3v30 restoration

Hi Guys.

I've just got my hands on a Ferguson 3v30, luckily got a belt set but may need to ask advice along the way getting it functioning.

The Cassette Lamp has failed. I have tested and measured 12 volt (I'm sure it was 12 volt) across the terminal the lamp lead connects into so I'm going to stick my neck out and assume the lamp has failed. Question, if the cassette lamp has failed is it normal for all the control buttons (play, FF etc) to be "disabled" - the machine seems to be in shutdown mode and I'm assuming its because the lamp has failed?

The clock works and program timer etc, the head "twitches" when the machine is bought out of timer or off as assuming that is OK.

Reason I got one, we had one for many many years when I was younger
Old 19th May 2017, 9:51 pm   #2
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Default Re: Videostar 3v30 restoration

Annoyingly I seemed to remember someone sending me some lamps a couple of years ago but even turning the house upside down I cant find them. Can someone tell me a supplier at a reasonable price?
Old 19th May 2017, 10:42 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Cassette lamp failure was always a very common problem and very much a weak point with this era of machines. It wasn't long before manufacturers started fitting infra red leds instead.
A failed lamp will cause all deck functions to be disabled. I must confess I have no idea where you can get them from now and they need to be the correct size and rating or the electronics which sense the lamp failure get confused. Maybe a request in the 'Wanted' section might turn up something.
I renovated a 3v29 last year and that was the first thing it needed.
Cheers Nick
Old 19th May 2017, 11:13 pm   #4
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Thanks Nick.

I have read people using 12 volt fairy light bulbs but seems a bit risky.

I found http://www.donberg.co.uk/catalogue/v...res/17050.html

Am i right assuming the 3V22 uses the same lamp as a 3V30?
Old 19th May 2017, 11:31 pm   #5
1100 man
Octode

I must have a closer look through that catalogue- some very useful stuff there.
As far as I know, all the 3V range use the same lamp. some have a plug on, some don't. As long as it had blue wires, I've certainly used the same lamp in 3v16, 22, 29, 8940 etc. Used to be a regular stock item from SEME, Willow Vale, Chas Hyde etc.
I do have a full manual but for the 8940 which is slightly different to the 3v29. It has really nice quality circuit diagrams in colour!
Cheers Nick
Old 20th May 2017, 8:12 am   #6
amtrakuk
Tetrode

That's a good bit of info regarding the blue wires. I did try and order from donberg.co.uk last night and pay by pay pal however it didn't ask for my card details so I think I may have to revert back to the old fashioned method of phone on Monday.

Fingers crossed, once I have got a new lamp installed I should get some response from the control panel.

Found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYYAg965Zqk which appears to be the same machine re badged
Old 20th May 2017, 10:45 am   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Just to clarify post #5 (I hope you don't mind) the 3V refers to the range of VCRs, not the voltage of the bulb.
The 8940 did have an excellent manual as did the 3V29 equivalent - these usually found their way out of the back door of a (then) major rental organisation!
This benefactor also used to "supply" kits for replacing the bulb with an LED which involved replacing a resistor on the mechacon board (680 ohms perhaps?) and fitting the LED which came on a small circuit board. It wouldn't be too difficult to improvise. The 3V30, unlike the Sharp and Panasonic models that used a bulb, aren't too fussy.
Glyn
Old 20th May 2017, 11:05 am   #8
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Yeah I saw the conversion to LED kits... Until I know the machine is fit and working I didn't want to spend that much.

Luckily a TV repair company in Morley has a lamp and knows with these recorders well. He has a lamp with 1cm of wire - soldering iron and insulating tape time

https://www.ceedees.co.uk/

Also he said he can still get them so maybe worth stocking up if its a reasonable price.
Old 20th May 2017, 6:37 pm   #9
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Typical. Went to solder and splice the wires and the wire snapped right at the bulb!

Just hoping he can get some. As a backup if anyone else can shed some light on suppliers at a reasonable costs.

Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 7:05 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Pun intended?
I'll have a look in the drawer at work and see if there are any left. I'll PM you if I find one.
Glyn
Old 20th May 2017, 7:14 pm   #11
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Sadly no.... The room was just full of expletives!

In desperation I've ordered some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112106296236 (12 volt clear)

If you wouldn't mind having a look, that would be great, thanks.
Old 20th May 2017, 7:15 pm   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Pin stuck into the glass on the end of the wire, a la cats whisker?
Old 20th May 2017, 7:19 pm   #13
amtrakuk
Tetrode

I did have a look under a magnifier but its a clean break, to short to solder onto, to long to stick anything in the hole
Old 20th May 2017, 7:40 pm   #14
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Superglue? And a wire whisker.
Old 20th May 2017, 9:39 pm   #15
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Well trying that and held the bulb a bit tight, its cracked so sadly now in the bin
Old 20th May 2017, 10:35 pm   #16
1100 man
Octode

Those lamps look like a remarkably good candidate as replacements. Do you have experience of servicing and repairing VHS machines? There will undoubtedly be 'issues' to resolve- electronic as well as mechanical and also alignment.
There is a lot of discrete electronics in there, and age is now taking it's toll. I spent ages sorting out a loading motor issue which turned out to be a leaky 1N4148 diode- usually a pretty innocent component!
Good luck
Cheers Nick
Old 20th May 2017, 11:03 pm   #17
amtrakuk
Tetrode

I'm tempted to give these a try....

I've got experience in tape path alignment and belt changes on "modern" machines. Sadly a lot of the newer machines are basically one board with few changeable parts. My main machine is a Daewoo DRVT40 (Freeview VCR/DVD). Apart from a low power tuner its not a bad set.

I cut my teeth on an old Videostar a couple of years ago and as you said came across much frustration - but learnt a lot. I'm just hoping I can get all the necessary parts

I've ordered some of those lamps I'm hoping they will be bright enough. I have saved the plastic bracket and the white "bung" for the lamp.
Old 21st May 2017, 1:12 am   #18
mickash
Hexode

I'm pretty sure I've got some of these lamps if you need one.
Old 21st May 2017, 7:30 am   #19
amtrakuk
Tetrode

You have a genuine cassette lamp? Would obviously prefer that to a bodger the badger job
Old 23rd May 2017, 7:31 pm   #20
amtrakuk
Tetrode

Well I got some of those 12 volt mini lamps though and they work but because they are so small they keep sliding out the holder - good for a "get you going".

1st job done was the lamp, 2nd was a belt change, apart form the tape loading belt it was pretty straight forward. But as with all things old the tyres need the emery board treatment as they are now slipping with 3 hour tapes. sadly managed to damage the upper arm of the idler wheel assembly - snapped off what looks like a little bit of plastic on the understand. I'm not sure if its vital just yet, seems to work but occasionally the FF motor whirs but the spool doesn't turn, retrying a second time the idler flicks across.

Anyhow watched a concert video no problem - picture and sound great - no adjustments needed
Closed Thread