UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2017, 10:14 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default Philips Cassette Heads Problem

The problem with later Philips cassette recorders ERASE heads has been mentioned before on such models as: N2233, N2234 etc.

To refresh and up date the problem;

The way that they were assembled and the 'potting' compound they used caused the later problem where the thick jelly like compound that held the ferrite bars and the coil in place eventually softens and oozes out of the assembly resulting in, at worst, the ferrite bars to fall out and the goo to migrate to the area around.

But now, several machines later, it reveals a high failure rate of 5/8 and unfortunately I've no found a suitable replacement, although I have been able to recover/rebuild & pot 2 working ones.

Below is the circuit diagram of the relevant part and you will note that its a 3 pin head (centre tapped).

My question is, has anyone come across this problem themselves and know of a suitable replacement. And further more why did they use a 3 contact/ centre tapped device instead of the usual 2 pin type?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N2233 & 34 Erase.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	145511  

Last edited by camtechman; 2nd Jul 2017 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Philips Erase Heads Problems
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 5:28 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Cassette Heads Problem

I suspect the reason for using the 3-terminal tapped head is that they could then make a Hartley oscillator without needing a separate oscillator coil.

Alternatively "It's Philips". Always a good source of oddites (and before you complain, I happen to be a Philips addict...)
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 12:06 pm   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Tony,

Thanks for the technical info and
Quote:
"(before you complain, I happen to be a Philips addict)"
. Me too.
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 2:45 pm   #4
sp10mk11
Octode

AAARRGGGG don't say this just when I thought the great Philips EL/N portables could not trick me anymore you find this, yes never a dull moment with a Philips cassette or a Grundig come to that, decomposing gear wheels, Tony did you manage to get another 485 transport?

Gary
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 8:03 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I'm a big enough enthusiast of things Philips that I have 3 of their _minicomputers_ here, along with manuals, etc. And yes, they are at least as odd as some of their tape recorders.

What is the '485 transport' and why was I looking for one?

As for crumbling gears, pulleys, etc, I realised years ago that the only solution to that problem (in all sorts of things) was to be able to make them myself. It's probably overkill for most people, but for the sort of things I work on, a small lathe is essential.
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 8:06 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Hi Gary,

Not yet, I've seen 3 for sale but, despite asking questions about the working condition not one replied, from that I assumed they were duff.

Tony

Last edited by camtechman; 3rd Jul 2017 at 8:18 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 8:18 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
What is the '485 transport' and why was I looking for one?
It was meant for me, it gets confusing when there are two Tonys' in the discussion LOL
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 8:33 pm   #8
camtechman
Nonode

TonyDuell,

Both Grundig & Philips cassettes from the same period had crumbling gears, so I assume they both used similar material.

Grundig machines CR409 etc used the "485" transport chassis and Philips N2233 & N2234 etc used their version chassis but their gears turned soft and were prone to the teeth stripping off.

Whether Grundig or Philips from the same period, they both failed and getting replacements is like finding Rocking Horse pooh !

I wish I'd bought a Watch Makers' lathe back in the 70's when it was offered to me but, at the time I was newly married, struggling to pay a mortgage. Ho-Hum.