UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2017, 10:41 pm   #1
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default A long shot, but "home offered"

I am in the process with Andover radio Club of setting up a permanent station at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, housed at Old Sarum airfield in Wiltshire. http://www.boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk/
The station will be a fully operational amateur station used for education and interest of the the general public and manned at all times when open by Andover club members. Apart from the amateur kit and whatever 'green' (or 'blue'!) radio equipment we bring along I am interested in whether anyone has ex airborne kit in need of a home and would wish to make a loan arrangement.

Club members will be activating the station several days a week during the summer, rarely during the winter (the museum closes during the winter...WW1 hangars are jolly cold!)

Anyway, the mutually beneficial offer is there.

David
Old 8th Jun 2017, 10:58 am   #2
G8BBZ
Pentode

Default Re: A long shot, but "home offered"

Hi,
Would you be interested in a Collins 618S-1 HF AM transceiver, ex-BOAC, I think. No control box or PSU.
If you are interested let me know and I will provide more details.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 8th Jun 2017, 5:40 pm   #3
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Will visitors to the Radio club bit have to pay the Aviation museum entry fee?

John
G8JMB
Old 11th Jun 2017, 7:22 pm   #4
llama
Octode

Can you clarify "airborne " please?
I have an unmodified receiver R1392 I think and a modded one. Also the matching PSU. But I think they were for ground control. Would they be of interest on a long term lone basis?
Casting the net a little wider, another receiver I have is ??R1024?? which is a grey wooden case job using 2 Volt battery valves. I have no idea if it was ever "airborne " or again just used on the ground. I also have a matching Morse Practice Set.
And what about Radar kit such as R1355?

I'll leave these questions with you.
Graham
Old 11th Jun 2017, 8:41 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I think the R1024 was used just on the ground.
Old 11th Jun 2017, 11:09 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

It was, for standby I think. I have one with O/C valve filaments and missing output transformer. Interesting as it's a superhet, but with reaction in the IF amp.
Old 13th Jun 2017, 10:19 pm   #7
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8BBZ View Post
Would you be interested in a Collins 618S-1 HF AM transceiver, ex-BOAC, I think. No control box or PSU.
Peter yes please. More info or a pic to my email would be appreciated. Do you have provenance? I only ask because the museum is a bit sniffy about such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBG8JMB View Post
Will visitors to the Radio club bit have to pay the Aviation museum entry fee?
John, I fear they will. But it is tremendous value!

D
Old 13th Jun 2017, 10:21 pm   #8
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Can you clarify "airborne " please?
I have an unmodified receiver R1392 I think and a modded one. Also the matching PSU. But I think they were for ground control. Would they be of interest on a long term lone basis?
Casting the net a little wider, another receiver I have is ??R1024?? which is a grey wooden case job using 2 Volt battery valves. I have no idea if it was ever "airborne " or again just used on the ground. I also have a matching Morse Practice Set.
And what about Radar kit such as R1355?
Graham, they would be of interest yes. The Morse practice set would certainly be as we shall be attempting to educate kids who "never use radio" - except their cell phones, wifi, bluetooth etc etc !

"Airborne"...I really meant stuff used for aviation, but I guess that'd stretch to the ground half too.

D
Old 14th Jun 2017, 8:53 pm   #9
G4YVM David
Heptode

I have secured the loan of several receivers for the museum station now - if anyone has a dead (or live actually) T1154 they want storing I can put it with the appropriate 1155 and make a display of an airborne pair. It'll save me carting mine around, which I am loath to do not least because I use it weekly.

D
Closed Thread