UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2010, 6:51 pm   #21
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Polyskop III - any info in English?

I obtained a copy of the english manual for the display unit and it uses standard easy to obtain components. A wash, recap, one o/c wirewound resistor and a few u/s trimmers and it is working OK but will need a little more TLC and re-calibration.

The sweep generator is another matter - it blew the fuse after a few minutes but seemed to do little else. The problem is I have no documentation and a limited number of fuses. It uses similar trimmers which will need replacing, so I am stuck without re-calibration details.

Anybody out there with access to a manual?.
Old 29th Mar 2010, 9:13 pm   #22
PJL
Dekatron

Caps, caps and more caps. I have removed the supply to the crystal marker which contains most of the leakage and the oscillator and sweep are now working so I just need a bag full of replacement electrolytics.

I will have to work carefully to minimise disturbance as I don't have alignment instructions. Looks like it could be a happy ending after all...
Old 3rd Apr 2010, 10:49 pm   #23
PJL
Dekatron

Here is a first picture of the working polyskop III. I made a quick resonant circuit with a ferrite cored former and 180pF and put it in series. You should just be able to make out the markers with a double height at 10MHz it makes it about 17MHz.

The bad news is the two differential amplifiers are just that and don't have the detector which I think was part of the probe. I am going to have to play around to see what can be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First scan.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	34030  
Old 4th Apr 2010, 10:05 am   #24
PJL
Dekatron

Having thought about it, in many cases an amplifier is all that is needed as I can look post detector. However, I should be able to make a very simple very low capacitance probe using a UHF detector, a capacitor and resistor which should at least work at VHF.
Old 5th Apr 2010, 8:26 pm   #25
Vectamart
Pentode

Many years ago (early to mid 1970s) I worked at GCHQ in Cheltenham and we used a Polyskop to align the 40 and 37.5 MHz band pass filters in Racal RA17 series communication receivers. This could be a long and frustrating procedure but was made simpler using this instrument which plotted a response curve for both filters on the screen, side by side. This enabled the technician to align for best response and relative amplitude for both filters.

A very large piece of kit which, if I remember correctly, was mounted on a taylor-made trolley and had a 17" CRT.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:52 pm   #26
woodchips
Octode

Hello, I too have just aquired a Polyskop 3, came with a collection of other test equipment and looked useful.

Closer inspection revealed that although the sweeper is labelled 0.1 to 1000 MHz, mine only has labels by the range switch from 0.1 to 165 MHz. Looking inside and there is a missing coil pack, so do the higher ranges use overtones?

Powered it up and get a faint trace on the CRT, infact multiple traces since mine has four channels. That is as far as I got, wasn't certain it was worth the effort of repairing given the miserable frequency range.

Has anyone ever modified the 86xxx HP sweeper plug ins for the 8620/8530 sweepers to run on their own? From the manual it looks reasonable easy, few power supplies plus a ramp which should be possible from a decent function generator. I have the 86220 0.1 to 1300 MHz unit, several in fact, but only one 8620 mainframe.

Bob
Old 18th Aug 2010, 5:14 pm   #27
Chaparal
Hexode

some SWOB 3 Accessories

Manuals available (pdf)

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R+S SWOB3-Z - Insertion Unit.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	39542   Click image for larger version

Name:	R+S SWOB3-Z - RF-Probe.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	39543   Click image for larger version

Name:	R+S SWOB3-Z - VSWR Bridge.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	39544  
Old 1st Oct 2010, 9:53 pm   #28
Alan Ainslie
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder - did anyone ever get English manual for SWOB3? Or even German? I need a manual and schematics as I have a troubled PSU here.

Alan
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 8:25 pm   #29
Richard ZS6TF
Diode

I bought a Polyskop III today at a flea market and managed to download the German instructions. Like Stelios I would like to get the same in English.
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 12:07 pm   #30
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
*** HELP *** anyone know what the value of a M0.63C/250 fuse might be? Is it going to be 0.63Amps?.
0.63 A , 630mA
C , "slowly" ( B = normal, A = fast )
250 Volts.

greetings
Martin
Closed Thread