UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2005, 12:47 pm   #1
Graham BB
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation HMV 2040 Record Player

I am mainly a record collector and have a HMV 2040 Record player to play 78s as and when. The record player has been in the loft for a few months and since bringing it back down i have found the following faults.
1, the volume control when used causes loud interference to be heard but volume goes up and down ok.
2, the arm when played in auto moves to far into the record no matter what selection is used.
My question is are these faults repairable or shall i just get a new (old ) player?
any help would be appreciated
Old 15th Jan 2005, 2:18 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: HMV 2040 Record Player

Hi Graham. Crackly volume controls are normal on unrestored old equipment and are normally caused by dirt on the carbon track. Often a squirt of switch cleaner is all that's needed, though you may need to dismantle the control to get access. The mechanical problems are most likely caused by grease drying out, and a good service and relube should fix things.

However, if your primary interest is records not equipment, I think you should consider buying a proper record deck modified to run at 78rpm and with a 78 stylus. Old domestic record players tend to have a high tracking weight - less than they did in the 30s, but still pretty high. You'll get much less record wear with a modern(ish) deck.

HTH, Paul
Closed Thread