UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:50 pm   #1
Angus69
Triode

Default Amplifier for Dynatron T69B

what amplifier can I mount in place of the one that was? Radio is it a Dynatron T69bB, was there an LF59B mounted before?
Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:10 am   #2
John Caswell
Hexode

Default Re: Amplifier for Dynatron T69B

Well I am afraid you cannot use any old amplifier for the T69B as it will need to supply at least 250 Volts HT and 4V ac for the heaters and possibly 6.3Vac for the dial lamps.
What happened to the original amplifier that was in this unit.

John
Old 21st Jan 2021, 12:06 pm   #3
Angus69
Triode

for the old one they made me an offer that I could not give up ... and I can't adapt something new?
Old 21st Jan 2021, 12:42 pm   #4
John Caswell
Hexode

Well now the simplest way is to pick a suitable amplifier of about 10Watts output, preferably valve/tube type, and then build a new power supply for the T69B. If you can give me the exact type of T69 then I will advise as to the power supply requirements. There is a metal label on top of the tuner capacitor cover giving the type and serial number. It will also help if you give all the valve types, which I suspect will be the Mazda 4 volt range. ie VP41, TH41, HL41 etc.

John
Old 21st Jan 2021, 12:49 pm   #5
Angus69
Triode

I have attached the data sheet of the radio, thanks.

Last edited by Station X; 21st Jan 2021 at 1:18 pm. Reason: Forum rule B.8. Ignore advice form moderators at your peril!
Old 21st Jan 2021, 12:50 pm   #6
ronbryan
Octode

You could make a separate HT and LT power supply for the tuner, then the choice of amplifier would be a lot easier. You would need to provide a lot of current for the 4V ac heaters - something like 5 to 6 amps. A seven pin Belling-Lee socket would facilitate connection of the tuner to the power supply without having to cut the flying lead from the tuner.

Ron
Old 21st Jan 2021, 1:59 pm   #7
Angus69
Triode

I confirm that it is T69B.

Thanks.

Last edited by Station X; 21st Jan 2021 at 2:36 pm. Reason: Translated into English.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 2:42 pm   #8
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus69 View Post
for the old one they made me an offer that I could not give up ... and I can't adapt something new?
Is it the amplifier from your Dynatron Ether Conqueror that you've sold?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 2:44 pm   #9
Angus69
Triode

Yes
Old 21st Jan 2021, 4:28 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus69 View Post
You certainly can, but the value people pay for those old Dynatrons is entirely within that amplifier. Without it, the remaining case and radio section is relatively worthless in monetary terms.

If you put a modern amplifier in it and tried to sell it, the first thing people would look for is the original amplifier. Without that they will just walk away or make an insulting offer.

For some reason, a significant number of people believe that those old Dynatron and Beam Echo amplifiers have audible properties that no modern equipment can equal. These beliefs couple directly into how much they are prepared to pay.

I would not be surprised if your amplifier turns up fairly soon, cleaned and polished on either a cult hifi site or on an auction site for an appreciably larger sum than you sold it for.

However it wasn't quite the version that these people go craziest over.

If, on the other hand, you want to keep the unit and having it produce its special period sound, it's too late. There are other amplifiers that would do that for you, but you'd likely have to pay more than you received to get back to where you once were.

David
Old 21st Jan 2021, 4:55 pm   #11
Angus69
Triode

ok ... but I like the mobile and the radio very much, I don't want to sell them, but I would like to keep them in my house, maybe working ... now being that I am not very practical, I would like to have information about the replacement of the amplifier and various power supplies to bring to the radio and deck ... thanks for the clarification
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:05 am   #12
Richardgr
Heptode

If you can get yourself on an old Tandberg reel-to-reel, say an 82, they have a transformer that powers the amp and preamp, and also has 250v for the motor. The tube amp (ECL86) is on a PCB, so could potentially be transplanted into your radio. They are only really of use to guitarist looking for a cheap tube amp.
Closed Thread