UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2018, 11:56 am   #1
Christoffrad
Hexode

Default GEC BC4750 dial glass

Having restored this set to full working order I decided to give the dial glass a gentle clean. What a disaster that has turned out to be. I had noticed that a couple of bits of the white lines had come away so was VERY gentle with a soft cloth. Nevertheless much more of the white lines have just washed away. The coloured print is fine but most of the white lines have gone. I decided to order some material called HMRS TRANSFERS 103P OO GAUGE General Purpose Lining White from a model shop. I hope with that it's possible to replace most of the lines.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 12:50 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: GEC BC4750 dial glass

Been there! They all are delicate really but I've a particular fondness for GEC sets of this vintage and the silkscreening seem to be really easily damaged, if not already flaking away.

Andrew
Old 8th Sep 2018, 2:35 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Scan it before it gets any worse.
You can make a waterslide replacement but printing white is impossible with an ordinary printer.
You could use white waterslide I suppose.
Old 8th Sep 2018, 3:30 pm   #4
Christoffrad
Hexode

I have another one of these radios so I have the means to scan a good one. But repairing this will be a challenge. White was only used for lines with the exception of the GEC logo at the bottom which is a pity. If I had realised that the lines were in this state I would have just sprayed the whole lot with a laquer spray (dirt-an-all)!
Old 12th Sep 2018, 6:20 pm   #5
Viscount
Heptode

hi there ive just aquired a BC4940 with the same prob,a freind of mine runs a printer business and recons he can replicate the dial print,we will see ,lovely set apart from that
Old 12th Sep 2018, 7:23 pm   #6
MurphyNut
Heptode

I've done it too, it's so tempting to clean the printed side, knowing it could make it look so much better, but it's so risky.
Sometimes if you're gentle you can get away with it, I now try a tiny area in a corner first before attempting anything like this.
Old 12th Sep 2018, 7:28 pm   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount View Post
hi there ive just aquired a BC4940 with the same prob,a freind of mine runs a printer business and recons he can replicate the dial print,we will see ,lovely set apart from that
If your friend can duplicate dial glasses, he may have a whole new occupation!
Old 12th Sep 2018, 8:01 pm   #8
Viscount
Heptode

will let you know how it goes
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:44 pm   #9
Christoffrad
Hexode

Fortunately the lost print was all white line. The coloured text was all OK. I sourced some material called Pressfix HMRS Transfers from a model shop in Sheffield. It was a fiddly job but luckily there was a ghost image of the lost material showing on the glass so i was able to align the new transfer lines.Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC BC4750 dial.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	170909
Closed Thread