UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2016, 10:50 pm   #1
delaitt
Pentode

Default Tektronix 7704A fault

Hello

I have a Tektronix 7704A which has developed a fault.

The fault can be observed on either timebases (left or right). The fault goes away if i move the trace to the left.

I assume the fault is related to the electronic in the 7704A chassis rather than the actual timebase (left or right).

Has anyone observed this kind of fault?

Thanks

Thierry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	121834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2602.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	121835  
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 8:13 am   #2
tony brady
Hexode

Default Re: Tektronix 7704A fault

Hi Thierry

none of mine have done that ( so far!) but I agree with you the fault is in the mainframe, not the timebase plug ins - this would be easy to prove by just having one plugged in and trying it in the A and then the B bay.

I would start by looking at the X amp first, there are a couple of resistors under stress from the 150V line, R582 & R592 - both are 2K61, they might be worth measuring first and go from there. With the power off for a couple of minutes it might be worth pushing the transistors home in their sockets as they can become loose or dirty

Tony
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 7:45 pm   #3
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

in normal mode the beam can never go back again to right. But I see that here !
So I think there is a bad deflection plate in the CRT (not sure)

At first: please swap the connections of the both horizontal deflection plates and look if the problem is then at the same - or at the other side.

greetings
Martin
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 8:14 pm   #4
trh01uk
Octode

Martin,

you said "...in normal mode the beam can never go back again to right..."

True enough if the waveform on the x-plates is a rising voltage, i.e. a sawtooth. But there is no reason at all why a faulty timebase cannot deliver a falling voltage - so yes, the trace can definitely go backwards under fault conditions.

I would say either the timebase or the x-amplifier is bursting into spurious oscillations. Use of another scope to pinpoint where this is occurring would be helpful - if one is available.

Spurious oscillation is often caused by failed decoupling capacitors. It may be quicker to swop out capacitors than trying to test each one individually.

Richard
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 8:29 pm   #5
trh01uk
Octode

The fact that the fault goes away if you move the trace to the left tells us that the oscillation is level sensitive. Probably because a semiconductor device has to be in a certain state to start oscillating.

Richard
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 11:50 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Select X=Y mode and feed in a sinewave from an audio generator to both X and Y inputs, adjust the the X sensitivity to fill the screen and see if it still misbehaves at the right side of the screen. This will eliminate the timebase from the hunt.

David
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 12:11 am   #7
PJL
Dekatron

Just before it bursts into oscillation the Y amp is folding back then the oscillation appears on both X and Y. I would therefore start with the PSU. Does this model have tantalum capacitors? If so they should be replaced in any case.
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 8:20 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

I think dead decoupling capacitors may be where this is headed. Going through everything on the boards with an ESR meter is one approach, but the scope still has more to tell us about probable location of the prime bad one. Mind you, with a load of similar parts of similar age, a general replacement programme can be labour-saving in the long run.

David
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 11:30 am   #9
dave cox
Nonode

I would also check the supply rails.
For the X output stage they will be quite high +/- 100V or so, IIRC.
In X/Y mode you could just use the POSITION controls (rather than feed in a signal) but I seem to recall the 'X channel' is actually a second 'Y channel' fed through the 'trigger' circuit of the time base plugin then routed onto the X-plates so it doesn't eliminate the time base. Alternatively a second vertical amp plugged into a right hand slot might be more conclusive ...

dc
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 1:31 pm   #10
RogerEvans
Hexode

I think your pictures are consistent with the fault just being instability in the X amplifier. The Y output IC is fed by the +50V rail and the X output stage is all discrete and fed by +100V and -15V. There are two highly stressed capacitors (probably Tantalum) C4373 and C4394 which have around 86 volts across them according to the manual (look for BAMA if you need to find it online), or the fault could be in the 100V supply.

If you don't have another scope to probe around the X amplifier try using a very slow sweep speed and if the instability persists use an analogue multimeter to probe for the fault, this is very much second best since it assumes that the instability will cause some change in the average voltage.

Best of luck,

Roger
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 3:57 pm   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

Have you worked out what frequency the noise is producing?
It could be as simple as a voltage regulator producing low output with mains ripple on it.
Just sweep the audio oscillator and time base until you can see the ripples.
If it is close to 50 or 100hz it will most likely be a power supply problem.
Old 24th Mar 2016, 5:22 pm   #12
dave cox
Nonode

At 200uS/div I doubt its ripple !
I didn't find a manual for the 7704A but if its like the 7704's horizontal drive then one failure mode I have seen (on a 7603) is when one half of the deflection drive is AWOL. The other half will try and do double duty (due to feedback) but obviously it won't be able to drive the beam to full deflection both ways. Possibly, as it reaches the rail it goes unstable ...

dc
Old 24th Mar 2016, 5:44 pm   #13
karesz*
Heptode

Dave,
KO4BB has mans for both versions.
Regards-Karl
Old 24th Mar 2016, 6:32 pm   #14
RogerEvans
Hexode