UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2016, 7:46 pm   #21
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Re: Marconi 2019A Intermittent RF Output Fault

Well, so much for that - started out OK but at 600KHz, I get a fluctuating frequency between 114 and 116KHz. Oh well, back to the drawing board...
Old 1st Apr 2016, 3:13 pm   #22
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Have you checked the DC tuning voltage for VCO 2 to make sure it is still well inside the normal range? If it has reached the edges of the tuning range it will become erratic in terms of lock reliability.

Also, I had several VCO failures on the VCOs in both of my 2019s over the first few years I owned them. I had failures due to poor connections, a failed transistor and also a failed ceramic capacitor that went intermittently short circuit.

It took me quite a few attempts to get my 2019s reliable over those early years but both generators have since entered a long period (well over 10 years now) when they have been very reliable apart from a sticky step attenuator on one of them if it doesn't get used often. So I think it is worth persevering and you may find a few more niggles along the way.
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 8:24 am   #23
Ti Pwun
Heptode

I think it's the BB809 varicap diode itself but I don't have a replacement I can drop in. I have some on order and I also ordered some BFR91A transistors. I think if I replace both it should be OK. Even though the transistor tested OK on my Atlas tester, I'll change it anyway..

As you say, I have been finding a few dry joint issues along the way and I'm repairing those as I find them so its improving all the time. Hopefully now that annoying, hard to find intermittent connection problem is out of the way, I'll get somewhere.
Closed Thread