UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2016, 11:37 am   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default AVO 8 mk7 Ohms Fault

Can anyone assist with a problem with an AVO8 mk7 which works fine on all ranges except Ohms x1, The ohms range will adjust to full scale but produce wildly inaccurate readings. I have traced out the circuit for a mk6 which I understand is much the same and the only component that would appear to affect this is R1 the 18-Ohm resistor shunt. When I substitute and 18 ohm resistor between the neg terminal and the + 1.5 battery terminal all returns to normal, I would be grateful if someone could confirm my diagnose, my problem is I can't find where the resistor is on the circuits boards try as I may to trace the circuit I seem to get lost, has anyone got the component layout for a Mk7? When I have found it I intend to bridge it with a high stab selected metal film resistor will this be OK?
kind regards
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO8mk7.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	122034  
Old 28th Mar 2016, 2:39 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO 8 mk7 Ohms Fault

I'm not familiar with the Mk 7 but I reckon you've cracked the problem, Chris. That appears to be a "printed resistor" which must have gone o/c, so your proposed solution seems the best practical approach.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th Mar 2016, 4:10 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Thanks Phil but I'm struggling to find the location of the O/C resistor.
Chris
Old 28th Mar 2016, 4:20 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Yes, but to an extent it doesn't matter where it is; if you can wire the new resistor between the correct end of the 'zero ohms /100' pot and the cut-out, it will do the same job.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the mark 7 will be able to assist further.

Old 28th Mar 2016, 4:53 pm   #5
neonlamp
Retired Dormant Member

What a coincidence- just had my Mk7 in pieces and could have photographed the resistor, but had reassembled it before I saw your request. What you are looking for is a printed, rectangular, ceramic unit approx 10x25mm right next to the ohmsx1 pot at the outer edge of the PCB holding the three pots.
Hope you can find it.

Cheers
Old 28th Mar 2016, 7:49 pm   #6
chriswood1900
Octode

Thanks to Phil and neonlamp it is now fixed. Once I knew where to look I discovered a dry joint caused by the lead being cut to short where circled. Extending the lead and cleaning and re-soldering and all is working. Whilst at it I looked around for other joints and found the black wire on the 10 amp fuse dry as well. For future ref whilst my lash up with an 18ohm resistor proved the fault it was not a fix as I had bypassed several switches in the process.
Regards Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO8MK7a.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	122061  
Old 28th Mar 2016, 8:53 pm   #7
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Well done, Chris! Glad you found the fault.

The Avo Model 8 Marks 5, 6 and 7 represented a radical redesign of the traditional hand-built Avometer after Thorn acquired Avo. Apparently the aim was not only to cut costs but to improve reliability. Early Avometers were reputed to suffer from dodgy soldering, and although the soldering was often not pretty, I have to say I've never found any dry joints in the many earlier models I've worked on. Clearly, your experience suggests that dry joints had not been entirely eradicated even towards the end of Avometer production!

I have a Mark 5 in my collection, but as it works perfectly I've resisted the temptation to open it up just for a look.

Old 28th Mar 2016, 10:28 pm   #8
neonlamp
Retired Dormant Member

Good to hear you found the problem. I suspect someone has "repaired" your Avo at some point- doubt Avo/Megger would have left a lead short and if anything I've seen great dollops of solder on most of the connections I've seen in Avo 8's.

Phil- I don't like opening up the tin either, but sometimes things need sorting!! Today's problem was a sticky needle (among other issues) which turned out to be a small iron/steel filing/splinter.
Now I need to fit new ohms pots the next service call- getting noisy. Nearly all Avo's over 10 years seem to suffer noisy pots (which will soon be all of them).

Cheers
Old 31st Mar 2016, 4:15 pm   #9
trsomian
Hexode

A fellow I knew at a previous job had worked at a place where the entire kit of spare parts for AVO model 8 were kept in the stores. Apparently, bit by bit he got all the parts and assembled himself a meter! Maybe others did the same, and you have got one of those.
Old 1st Apr 2016, 3:58 pm   #10
chriswood1900
Octode

It is unlikely mine came from any dodgy source! it is ex MOD and does not look like it had ever been opened so not got at by a squady, I think it was just one which had an error in assembly.
Chris
Closed Thread