UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 14th May 2024, 5:36 pm   #1
mediaseller
Triode

Default Sony TR-620 Speaker and Capacitors.

I bought one of these from eBay. It came from Italy.

It does work, though it sounds a bit tinny, so is it me that's used to modern audio equipment?

Anyway, the speaker grille dome had been depressed in the past and I managed to reform it to the best of my ability, though I noticed that the cone of the speaker protrudes out, beyond the speaker rim by about 1mm. Is the protrusion normal? See pictures.

The caps have never been changed and seem to be good with no signs of leaks. I haven't tested them with the ESR tester yet. I'm loathed to take them out if the radio is working. Are the caps of this type reliable?

Perhaps re-aligning would help if the caps have gone adrift?

Can anyone advise, please?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05478.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	297545   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05480.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	297546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05482.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	297547   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05483.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	297548   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05485.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	297549  

mediaseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 1:35 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TR-620 Speaker and Capacitors.

If you suspect the electrolytics have dried up (not unreasonable in a set of this age!)
you can simply bridge them one at a time with a capacitor of a similar value. If you hear an improvement, at least you will know that replacing it/them won't be in vain.

Bad electrolytic caps shouldn't affect alignment, but if you've got a sig gen there's nothing wrong with giving it a tune-up when you've finished repairing it.
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 8:56 am   #3
marceljack
Hexode

The speaker seems perfectly normal.
Regarding the "tinny" sound I think it's probably normal for an AM only radio of this small size.
Regarding the electrolytics I would be surprised if they were bad, it's rarely the case in transistor radios working on low voltage and not submitted to high temperatures, contrarily to valve radios.
marceljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 10:48 am   #4
smiler411
Pentode

sometimes I have seen speakers with the centre of the cone pushed out, can happen with a large DC or pulse in one direction and they stay in that position. May not be case with yours of course, if you could supply a small DC voltage that you can control in reverse (ie so the cone moves towards the magnet) you could see if the speaker moves back in in a controlled manner or suddenly flips in in case the cone has over extended and stuck in that position. Need to start at a low level. If the cone has flipped out it will sound very distorted though I should think
smiler411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2024, 8:39 am   #5
marceljack
Hexode

If you look at the outside of the loudspeaker, you will see that the metallic part has also an "inverted" shape, this is to reduce the depth of the loudspeaker.
So I think the cone is its normal position.
marceljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2024, 10:04 am   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

All looks fine to me, I'd leave well alone and enjoy looking at it and using it.