UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 8th May 2024, 7:59 am   #1
lightning
Heptode

Default New AM radio station?

Among all the AM closures

l've noticed a new AM radio station here in Manchester. lt's started broadcasting a few weeks ago.

A search online reveals it's called "Lyca Radio". Opened on 22nd April on two AM frequencies. (963 and 1377khz)

lnteresting that it's launched on what they call "traditional frequencies" as well as the usual platforms.

lt's nice to see not everyone has abandoned AM. Reception here on the outskirts of Manchester is reasonable, but not great, so l don't know where the transmitter is or what power it is using. At night it's actually worse.

Last edited by lightning; 8th May 2024 at 8:07 am.
lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 8:34 am   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: New AM radio station?

Lyca R has replaced the two Asian Sound services: 963 from Haslingden (200W) and 1377, Ashton Moss (100W) - feels like a rebranding to me.

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 8:53 am   #3
lightning
Heptode

Could be. But they've retained and are advertising the AM frequencies which is unusual these days.
Old 8th May 2024, 9:54 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

London on 1458.
Old 8th May 2024, 10:07 am   #5
Station X

What does that rather terse post mean?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 10:12 am   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

1377 and 963 have been in use for many years and were home to Asian Sound Radio here in the Manchester area. Lyca is the new user of the frequencies. I wish they'd go away as their signal is very strong here and their lower sideband splashes over Manx Radio on 1368.
Old 8th May 2024, 10:39 am   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
What does that rather terse post mean?
The station also has a London Frequency, apologies for the short post.
Old 8th May 2024, 10:53 am   #8
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
London on 1458.
Yes, now that Gold has gone off from their Ashton Moss site, I can hear Lyca on 1458. Weak in the daytime, quite listenable at night.
Old 8th May 2024, 11:02 am   #9
Station X

https://www.lycaradio.com/

The 1458kHz transmission from London is coming through loud and clear in Ipswich, but I won't be listening to it. Using a Trio 9R-59DS with a 150ft long wire aerial.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 11:16 am   #10
sexton_mallard
Heptode

1377 and 963 received in Shropshire. As the MW band empties I noticed DXing of distant stations that I want to listen to such as Manx, Caroline and Radio Wales from Washford is getting better.

Less snakes...more ladders!
sexton_mallard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 12:23 pm   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
1377 and 963 have been in use for many years and were home to Asian Sound Radio here in the Manchester area. Lyca is the new user of the frequencies. I wish they'd go away as their signal is very strong here and their lower sideband splashes over Manx Radio on 1368.
I can relate to that.

Radio Manchester originally came from Ashton Moss on 206m and used to splatter Radio Luxemburg a mere two meters away.
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 12:27 pm   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Website states:

Quote:

In Greater London, the Lyca Group acquired the frequencies 1458AM, 1035AM and 107.5FM from the Sunrise Radio Group when it went into administration back in 2014.

Lyca Media is the parent company of four radio stations broadcasting across Greater London – Two for the South Asian community – Lyca Radio 1458AM and Lyca Gold 1035AM, a station specifically for the Tamil community – Athavan Radio based in Sri Lanka and an English commercial station – Time 107.5FM for the community of Romford and surrounding areas.

End quote.

https://manchester.lycaradio.com/about/

It's a commercial radio company rather than not-for-profit 'community broadcast' station, and AM seems an odd mode to retain if they want maximum reach within their reception area. Lots of people listen to radio in their cars, and for some years now, new cars have had DAB/FM radios. Mine has MW AM too, but there's nothing to hear on it but noise, and I don't have any FM stations tuned in - only DAB.

It's surprising how many not-for-profit community broadcast stations there are, but for many years now, most have been on FM, and are now tending to migrate to DAB. A local community broadcast station in Hull which has been broadcasting on FM since 2007 has just launched its new DAB platform - meaning that it will be able to cover more of Hull and Beverley.

'West Hull Community Radio' (WHCR) started 17 years ago as 'West Hull FM 106.9 FM', becoming the first community station to gain a licence to broadcast in the region. Now, WHCR will be launching a new local DAB+ digital radio platform, and on account of its wider audience, has been rebranded as ‘Humber Wave Radio’.

('East Hull' and 'West Hull' are clearly defined geographical areas separated by the River Hull. Though I live in Cottingham five miles to the west of Hull, as is Beverley, 'West Hull Radio' didn't accurately describe the coverage area).

The station is supported by a "volunteer army", consisting of professional and amateur radio presenters. In addition to news, sport and local information, Humber Wave Radio plays hits from the last 60 years. In 2022, the station received a new transmitter and aerial at Hull Royal Infirmary to strengthen its signal and reach people based in Goole.

Whether on not they'll cease on FM hasn't been mentioned.

https://humberwave.com/about-west-hull-fm

There's also a well-run local not-for-profit 'Community Internet Radio' station run by more than twenty volunteers. 'Online-only radio services' aren't regulated by Ofcom and don't need a licence as despite their name, they don't use radio. (However, to play any music on an online station, you will need the relevant licences from the music royalty collection agencies, PPL and PRS for Music.

https://phoenixcommunityradio.com/#about-us

So, Lyca radio seems to be an isolated instance that's been using AM for the last ten years, rather than setting a trend for more AM stations to come on air. Regrettably, if we want to energise our AM radios, like it or not, it boils down to a choice of FM/AM converters, 'Pantry Transmitters', or Bluetooth. When using Bluetooth the radio still looks like a radio, sounds like a radio, but it's not really a 'radio' - it's just an amplifier with a speaker.
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 2:09 pm   #13
McMurdo
Dekatron

Funnily enough I was reading into the history of BBC Brookmans Park transmitter at the weekend and it mentioned it now transmitted 'Lyca Radio' on AM. I didn't bother looking them up.

I guess that's going to be a decent signal.
Old 8th May 2024, 2:37 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Is Lyca Radio associated with Lyca Mobile?? I suspect so, from memory Lyca Mobile started off a couple of decades ago, aimed at selling low cost airtime for mobile calls primarily to Asian countries.
Old 8th May 2024, 4:45 pm   #15
lightning
Heptode

Well, l suppose anyone broadcasting on AM is better than nothing. I was sad to find that Gold disappeared in my area recently, being the only music station still broadcasting on AM that l can receive.

Lyca broadcasts music directed at the Asian community by the sounds of it.