UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 24th May 2024, 12:19 pm   #21
electroanorak
Hexode

Default Re: Panasonic CF-28 Toughbook restore. (Actually a C-27).

Thank you all for your help.

To give you and update (I sorted it) and for anyone wishing to install windows XP on a machine and it hangs at a point in the install whilst installing drivers.

1. Run the install from the XP CD.

2. When it hangs, shut down the PC.

3. Remove the install CD.

4. Start the PC again and wait for it to ask for the install CD.

5. Press SHIFT + F10 (you will see the DOS window appear).

6. Type C:/windows/inf and hit ENTER (you will now see a notepad window).

7. Scroll down to the bottom of the file and look for the last driver installed. (in my case, it was cpu.inf).

8. Close notepad and type C/windows/inf/"and then the driver name (in my case C:/windows/inf/cpu.inf) Notepad will open again.

9.Now delete the contents of the file and re-save it.

10. replace the install CD and hit ENTER.

The install should now continue as normal.

If it happens again, repeat and clear each file.

Daniel.
electroanorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 1:33 pm   #22
ortek_service
Octode

Thanks for the update, which may prove useful in future to others who acquire one of these.
I wonder if there is a missing / incorrect driver file for the particular CPU used in this, that the standard WinXP installation .inf file is pointing to.
Although I'd never previously come across a driver for a CPU, although there are motherboard drivers for the other bridge etc IC's on that.
ortek_service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2024, 1:21 pm   #23
PSU/15939
Diode

I personally love these little laptops. Get an IDE SSD or a IDE to SD adapter, don't bother with Windows but a lightweight Linux distribution (Siltaz, Lubuntu, Puppy Linux) and I find them perfectly useable - upgrade it to 2GB of RAM - mine said max was 1GB (2x512) but it accepted 1GB DDR SODIMMS.
PSU/15939 is offline   Reply With Quote