UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 19th May 2024, 9:35 pm   #1
RKnight
Triode

Default Philips B5G80A Restoration

Hello everyone.

Here's a brief report on a radio I picked up recently, it's been a quick turnaround as it didn't need much work electrically, the case needed the most amount of work.

The case was in quite a bad way so I stripped what was left of the paint and decided to wax it; the outer case is veneered but around the speaker and the front controls it is solid wood. I used walnut wax on the outside and natural wax on the inside, although the case looks great and fresh I think it might be too light?
The brass has come up very well after a lot of elbow grease.

Electrically it doesn't need a lot of work at all, the electrolytics tested fine and seemed to reform very quickly with a low voltage supply so armed with variac and light bulb, I set to wake the old girl up. All I know is the radio was put away in a loft in 1982 and hasn't been plugged in since.

Everything seemed to go fine and the valves warmed up nicely and once the rectifier got going I had HT, but soon noticed only one side of the capacitor had +240v, the other side had a mere 1v. After checking components I found the 3 Watt R1 resistor to be open and after closer inspection could see a little burn mark.
I attached a similar resistor in parallel and applied power again and soon enough got a noise from the speaker and sure enough a station came up straight away on MW, switching to FM I was greeted with similar success. FM sounded excellent, very clear and punchy.

It would seem this radio has had little use and was only put away after it stopped working, the EF80 valves seem to be strong as I had no issue at all with FM reception using a multimeter lead poked into the aerial hole. Also the dial light was still working and looked crystal clear, it was branded Philips Great Britain so either it is the original or a genuine OEM replacement. Finally the R1 resistor which had failed looks brand new, no indication of any kind of heat stress at all.

I've ordered a few new capacitors and resistor (just to replace the wax ones, the rest are ceramic) and once the chassis is back in I'll post some final pictures.
All in all a very nice radio and fairly easy one to do.

Interesting item I found was a modification to add some sort of external connection - I don't recognise what it is, close up picture in the next post - but was connected via coaxial cable to the input of the tone control so might have been used as a line out (should have worked as a line in but it has a gram input anyway)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00420.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	297770   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00421.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	297771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulb.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	297774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00423.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	297775   Click image for larger version

Name:	connector.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	297776  

RKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2024, 9:46 pm   #2
RKnight
Triode

Default Re: Philips B5G80A Restoration

I've attached some close ups of the connector, whatever was connected to the core of the coaxial is long gone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Connector.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	297777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Connector.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	297778   Click image for larger version

Name:	R1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	297779   Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	297780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00439.jpg
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	297781  

RKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2024, 11:08 pm   #3
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Philips B5G80A Restoration

Nice cabinet colour, always thought the very dark colour was dreary!