UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 14th May 2024, 7:30 pm   #1
thermionic
Octode

Default Pye Radio Identification.

Hello all.

Can anyone identify this Pye radio please?

It’s a 3 waveband, 4 Valve + rectifier AC set.

I’ve looked through Radiomueseum, Radio Radio and images online, but can’t positively identify it. Why Pye found it so difficult to not stamp a model number on the rear cover like most manufacturers, is a mystery!

Internally, it looks totally un touched, but the valves are a mix of Ever Ready and Tungsram brands.

Valve line up is ,- MH4105, A50P, A23A, APP4B, S11D.

Many thanks.

SimonT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2193074B-4C41-4A2B-91B5-02DA778820D9.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	297555   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B4DE316-C64C-4BF3-98F3-81EF5BDD1700.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	297556  
Old 14th May 2024, 9:15 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Radio Identification.

Seems to match the Q.AC38 inside and out unless I'm missing something obvious (which wouldn't be the first time...)

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pye_qac38.html

I expect there wasn't room for the big cardboard-cased electrolytic under the chassis, presumably a replacement though it doesn't look much younger than the set.

Paul
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2024, 8:16 pm   #3
thermionic
Octode

Hi Paul.

I feel a bit foolish now……., I spent over an hour trying to find a set that matched mine, how I missed it is anyone’s guess. Anyway, many thanks for a positive identification.

The cardboard electrolytic looks original to the set, and I have no reason to suggest that this was not installed originally. Looking at the Trader sheet, it appears that originally, the set could have been fitted with either Mullard or Ever Ready valves. I wonder why this was? I understood that Mullard made valves for Every Ready, but I’m happy to be corrected.

The set was obtained from an antique shop, and whilst it looks totally original, has been fitted with a new 13Amp plugtop,- I just hope they didn’t plug it in!

SimonT.
Old 15th May 2024, 9:01 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Simon,

Well, Ever Ready's 1930s radio chassis were mostly (all?) made by Pye, and looking at RM.org it appears that the valves used in them were all branded Ever Ready: so my guess would be that, with ER insisting on their own branding, Pye ordered in more than enough ER-branded valves to be sure of meeting that requirement, and used the surplus in their own sets before going direct to Mullard to meet their further needs. Something like that...

Paul
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote