UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2006, 1:52 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Dimensions of modern batteries.

Hi,

I've just spent ages getting this radio working and clean but I've just discovered that I can't get the back on because the two PP9's are in the way!

Am I using the right ones or have PP9's got bigger

Thanks
David
Old 10th Nov 2006, 1:58 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker RP34 Batteries?

They do indeed seem to be growing, which is rather a shame to put it mildly. I've been using a lately arrived RP82 Herald with an old metal-cased Panasonic PP9, but as that was starting to show its age I decided to try the effect of a new plastic one and it won't go in They sit readily enough in Sovereigns and proper Heralds, but designing the Democrat was something of a shoehorning job to start with and presumably the tolerances are pretty tight

Paul

EDIT: Seems from some rough measurements I've just taken that it's not a case of outright growth so much as of dimensional redistribution

Very old cardboard Ever Ready PP9: 80 x 62 x 46.5mm.
Dead Ever Ready PP9 in metal casing, red livery: 75 x 62.5 x 48.5mm.
New plastic Panasonic PP9: 76 x 63.5 x 49.5mm...

Last edited by Paul_RK; 10th Nov 2006 at 2:19 pm.
Old 10th Nov 2006, 2:54 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for the reply Paul.

Ironically it's the width that is preventing the back from fitting. At 62mm wide my Eveready Silver batteries seem to be on the small side, compaired to your measurements

At a rough guess the batteries need to be around 58mm wide to get the back to fit

Thanks
David
Old 10th Nov 2006, 3:07 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Had the same problem myself with the Ranger RP70, I fitted a fresh Silver Ever Ready to that a couple of years ago and, when it finally died earlier this year, I had to use a corkscrew to haul it out. Presumably just because of the expansion that had taken place during use and the plastic case not shrinking back afterwards?
Like the mug that I am, the set had another one (Split New, Panasonic brand) fitted and although that battery is still perfectly healthy (it's a set I hardly use) it's already become too big to drop out when the set's bottom is removed!

The lantern batteries for the R707 have definitely grown too, the rear door of the Roberts is bulging a little more than when its batteries were fitted, yet they still give every indication that they're ok when tested with an equivalent load. They were slightly too big when they were fresh, growth is roughly 0.03" on the width, height unaffected.

So it's not just a problem that affects sets where the batteries are new! Very odd.
Old 10th Nov 2006, 3:08 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hmm... could this be why I've not much used a Democrat for a while? I just retrieved the nearest one, and... well, the red Ever Ready batteries will go in and the back will close, but they're darn snug, and I now know why one of my Democrats has a big finger-shaped hole on the left of its loudspeaker cone The old cardboard battery won't even consider fitting on the left hand side, on account of its height: perhaps it pre-dates the Democrat and PP9s had already shrunk by 1967? And the plastic Panasonics just won't go in the set: the left-hand one stops half way when it meets the amplifier board's spacing washer, while on the right the IF screening can gets in the way

Paul
Old 10th Nov 2006, 3:13 pm   #6
batterymaker1
Heptode

Bear in mind on those cardboard batteries--inside is a stack of 1.5 volt MiniMax wafers, sealed in wax. If given a chance, they will SWELL....
Old 10th Nov 2006, 3:33 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes - my measurements were of the cardboard casing, deliberately avoiding taking into account the various bulges. I don't think the height can have increased that much... could be wrong, though.
Old 10th Nov 2006, 4:23 pm   #8
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

The PP9's aren't the only ones to get bigger. I have noticed recently that AA batteries are swelling. Several of the coat size trannies which use 4xAA batteries will no longer take them or the backs won't go on. With others, the battery tubes are too narrow and they won't fit. I recently found some cheapie batteries in a market which fit, and when I measured them, they were about 2mm less in diameter. I wonder if the problem is with all the cladding they now add to try and stop leakages.
Old 10th Nov 2006, 4:24 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Well I'm not going to let this little problem stop me... I'll make some! .

I've, just, resized a scan of an old PP9. When made up it will measure 75mm x 60mm x 48mm.

I've also found that new PP9's come apart easily! All I have to do is file some material off around the piece where the terminals are and fit it into my cardboard copy... but I'll finish it tommorrow now

David

Last edited by Darren-UK; 2nd Aug 2007 at 2:55 pm. Reason: Removed reference to non-existent image.
Old 10th Nov 2006, 5:23 pm   #10
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've had the same trouble with a couple of Mini Heralds whilst trying to use PP7s from Maplins. I ended up altering the little wooden retainer pieces inside the radio(s). Oddly, this problem only seems to arise with Hacker radios, never Roberts etc.
Old 10th Nov 2006, 9:11 pm   #11
Colin
Heptode

I've done the same thing. It's easier to 'pop' the wooden retainer off and re-glue it, a touch of matt black paint and it's sorted...
Closed Thread