UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2013, 7:37 pm   #1
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Stella ST2500

Dear All

I have been doing some further reading about the Philips G6 chassis for my early Philips TV website. I have come across the Stella ST2500 model which is based on the G6 chassis.

Can anyone advise on what the differences were? Are they purely cosmetic or was there any differences of substance? Was the Stella more expensive than the equivalent Philips sets?

Also, does anyone have any photos or better still sales blurb / other info on the ST2500 that I can have to post on the site?

In fact, I wonder, can anyone 'throw any light' on the Stella brand for me in general history terms? How did they come to be associated with Philips? Clearly, Stella slipped under my RADAR!

Kind regards as always.

Robert

Last edited by Philips Fan; 13th Aug 2013 at 8:07 pm.
Old 13th Aug 2013, 8:43 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Stella ST2500

Stella was the WHOLESALER brand at that time for Philips. The differences were cosmetic.
To sell Philips products you had to be an accredited dealer with an account with Philips Electrical direct. To gain a wider market for their product, manufacturers sold their receivers under another name I.E. Invicta for PYE. Marconi for EMI. Marconi again for Ferguson. Stella for Philips etc to wholesalers. [Brown Brothers for one] Any electrical shop could purchase by cash or account from from a wholesaler without the strict conditions of a dealership. Wholesalers were an essential part of business and could often supply a receiver at very short notice when supplies direct from the manufacturers were on allocation. It's as simple as that. It just gave manufacturers an opening for sales. They were cosmetically different but only just, to prevent accredited dealers from complaining that their agency was being undermined by what they considered to be 'shabby' dealers. The trade had an incredibly snobby attitude back then. John.
Old 13th Aug 2013, 9:40 pm   #3
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks John

I'll use this info on a new page I am preparing.

Really useful and indeed quite intriguing stuff mate.

Regards

Robert
Old 14th Aug 2013, 7:18 am   #4
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

So was Stella products made at the same factory as Philips and just re-badged or did Philips provided the chassis to a separate Stella division (another factory - for finishing as Stella models)?

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/ear...atives/stella/

Thanks

Robert
Old 14th Aug 2013, 8:36 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

As far as I know the television receivers all came off the same production line at Waddon. It was only at the cabinet stage that the differences could be seen. J.
Old 14th Aug 2013, 2:29 pm   #6
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks John
Robert
Closed Thread