UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2013, 10:45 am   #1
hooting_owl
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 32PW9528/05 EM5.1 chassis - error code 2

Hello. Hoping someone can help me repair this set. It is about ten years old but has been used rarely. Have watched it about forty times in total. Spent a lot of time under a dust sheet.
Recently started to use it again but it drops into protection mode on startup. Buffer shows error code 2 which is horizontal flyback error.
Nobody local is interested in repairing and I don't want to scrap it. I am aware that these sets have issues with tubes and line output transformers.
Does anyone have experience of this chassis and the common faults. I was going to replace the line transformer as a 30 quid gamble.
Or can someone recommend a sympathetic repairer?
Have got service manual and am aware/respectful of dangers when working on these things.
Advice appreciated
Old 10th Aug 2013, 2:05 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 32PW9528/05 EM5.1 chassis - error code 2

Could well be LOPTX,check for any blue disc ceramic caps if fitted around the line stage.Used to have pdf of manual but think its long deleted since i retired.Possibly duff line transistor will give same error fault.Also if it is check its base coupling cap.
Old 10th Aug 2013, 2:38 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Don't know about the EM5.1 chassis but some late Philips CRT sets suffered from dry joints joints on the line scan coils. There is a small PCB on top of the coils and the pins of the plug were prone to cracked joints.

Colin M
Old 10th Aug 2013, 4:56 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

The tube in this set is probably a Panasonic one (labeled Philips, but completely different from the usual Philips tubes). I don't think the deflection coils on those are particularly prone to dry joints.

I would look first for dry joints on the large signal panel.
Old 10th Aug 2013, 6:59 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Firstly I agree with Maarten - it probably has a Panasonic tube which is good news - I've rarely had one fail (and that was for gross convergence errors). The picture quality is almost as good as first class Philips CRT which is a rare beast.
Right - to work. First look for shorts or dry joints. When doing this pay particular attention to scorch marks on blue ceramic disc capacitors and dry joints on any wound components or large boxy capacitors.
If all's well here and the line output transistor is OK then it is possible you have a duff LOPT. If this is the case there is usually a beat before the set trips, allowing reduced EHT to come up (I say usually). Trouble can occur when the EHT cap has become damp and can arc.
If you get nowhere I do have a similar set with a sound fault that you are welcome to have FOC - trouble is I'm a couple of hundered miles away!
Good luck
Glyn
Closed Thread