UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2013, 8:45 am   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Stella ST1017-46 17" 1960

The receiver has now been finally cleaned up. A spider managed to get between the implosion screen and the mask so the CRT had to be removed to gain access to it. A nice touch from Philips, the mask has 'line up' markings to ensure the tube is straight in the opening when refitting.
The tuner has been cleaned. It is fitted with printed circuit coil wafers and they must be fitted in the correct order or you will have a problem getting the local oscillator to fire up.
I have also replaced a number of high value resistors in the frame linearity feedback area and a couple in the oscillator. 2 X 680K X 820K 1 X 2.2M 1 X 3.3M and a 470K.
There were occasional white spots on the picture pointing to a slight discharge on the DC side of the EHT. This was completely cleared up by removing the LOPT and giving the EY86 holder a good rinse down with brake cleaner. This removed some general greasy dust and returned the EY86 holder to as new condition. There must have been a tiny discharge between the base of the valve holder [fully encased in plastic] and the black metal screen. The Cossor version is without doubt the best looking version of the 17TG100U and the pictures are outstanding on all of them. Yes David, the best of British with the expertise of the mighty Philips company. The trade owes a lot to Commerce Way Croydon. I'm still hoping that Ivy from the spares counter will make herself known one day. It would be great to hear from her. Happy days! John.
Old 5th Aug 2013, 2:25 pm   #22
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: Stella ST1017-46 17" 1960

Enjoyed that, these are great sets John!

I must get around to getting my pair sorted. The Philips was the identical set that my parents already had when I came into being in '64. It was my window on the world, I remember many Saturday tea times - Dr Who, Basil Brush, Casey Jones, etc., until we went colour in 10 years later.

The photo's show the trim differences, badge engineering (like Morris/Wolseley). The Stella (on top) was picked up at the NVCF a couple of years ago. After a few simple checks, mains filter cap, boost cap and repairing a section on the dropper, it burst in to life and gave a very good account of itself. As I was tweaking with the height, linearity and width adjustments, the LOPT decided to pack up with a suspected shorted winding.

The Philips I aquired from forum colleage Colourstar earlier this year, who saved it from the skip. Knowing how these LOPT's are fragile, I won't attempt to switch it on until I've given it a good look over first.

Having chatted to Mike Barker, he will be able to rewind the failed LOPT for me, he's recently done the same transformer for another forum member. The Stella is the nicest looking af the two, but it's the Philips I want to restore and keep for sentimental reasons!

The last picture is the Stella when it did initially work a couple of years ago.
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhilipsStella 001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	82564   Click image for larger version

Name:	PhilipsStella 002.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	82565   Click image for larger version

Name:	PhilipsStella 003.jpg