UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2013, 10:34 pm   #21
Andy Doz
Hexode

Default Re: Watching Wimbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
I do not watch the tennis but it does have TV memories for me.
In the black and white TV days circa early 1960's if Wimbledeon fortnight was during a hot spell of weather we normally were much busier with service calls as people were watching most of the day and the sets were getting very warm, we seemed to get through a lot of LOPT's.
Another common service call to sets with an aging tube getting a soft focus "we can't see the ball!"
I remember in 1967 BBC2 had Wimbledon in colour (the first major programme in colour), the shop I worked in did not have a colour TV at the time but a few doors along Radio Rentals had a Baird colour TV on display in the window which I often looked at, not for the tennis content but to see the colour TV working!.
I think some of the first HD TV trials were from Wimbledon tennis, before HD TV became public, and as has been mentioned already HD and 3D this year, although probably the last 3D from there as the BBC are pulling out of 3D soon.
Yep, Wimbledon coming, order triplers!!
Old 25th Jul 2013, 11:48 pm   #22
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Watching Wimbledon

This thread has just reminded me that, when we got married our finances didn't run to a TV. My tennis-mad wife had been watching Wimbledon in colour at a friend's, but was then laid up in bed with a bug for the semifinals. I went to the local Curry's and bought a 12" Philips B/W portable that I wheeled home on the handlebars of my bike, so Wimbledon was the first thing we saw on our first TV.
Closed Thread