UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2019, 2:28 pm   #1
Bill Froog
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Greets - and any noob advice on a Decca DM2/C

Hello all,
I'm reversing gently into restoring 'stuff'. I've always balked at throwing anything away and always taken them apart to see how they worked. (Starting with the toilet cistern at about 4 I believe)
A now rather rusty grounding in electronics from a Wwk electronics degree many years ago - and now I find myself working backwards from Arcade cabs, via restoring pinball tables of all ages (my main interest) to now 'saving' other items that come my way.
Fairly recently a HMV 1115 which only needed a thorough clean and some rotten cable replacing to bring back to life - bringing me here, with a donation of the Decca.

I suspect I know the answer to the 1st Question: Is it worth it?

More importantly - are there any items I should be especially aware of?

The electrolytics are obviously suspect - although this set has obviously been 'kept going' for some time with many new components. Many have been replaced (in fact mainly paralleled, with the old components still in situ, hanging off one leg - was this common practice?)
There are a two bits of twin core, snipped - which are a mystery.

The mains connector is a new one on me - two brass pins sticking out - this needs some type of old 'kettle' flex? (I'll bodge something, but anything available for this purpose - or should I hard-wire a 'better' (but less authentic) solution?)

Only 24 hours of research, but I haven't been able to find a 1957 Radio & TV servicing book. I have only cleaned and inspected so far - but I suspect I'll need to find a copy - or a pdf? I have downloaded the two from the late 60s that are available - does anyone know of others online?

So - apologies, for a rambling 1st post - too little knowledge & too much enthusiasm, but hoping to preserve this little piece of history if I can..

Oh - and any legs available for these - else I'll have to investigate turning some - which will be a whole adventure in itself!

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.
Old 26th Nov 2019, 4:38 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Greets - and any noob advice on a Decca DM2/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Froog View Post
So - apologies, for a rambling 1st post - too little knowledge & too much enthusiasm
The first point is easily, if painstakingly, overcome. The second shouldn't be.
Old 26th Nov 2019, 4:56 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Have a look at the 'stickies' on this forum. A lot of what you probably want to know has already been written and because it's intended as reference material, you'll find it a bit more thorough than answers typed on the fly... saves you having to ask a lot of questions as well.

Paul sells radio servicesheet downloads individually at top right and a monster set of service info on a DVD rom as well as a disc of collected valve data. This funds the website without all those tedious adverts you normally get.

Plenty of bedtime reading to get you going. If you're bringing valved radios, amplifiers etc back to life, there is one part you need to know about in almost all equipment. A small cheap capacitor which when it fails takes out expensive and often irreplaceable parts. Search this site for 'THAT CAPACITOR' it's worth checking on the set you've just done to ensure it has a long and happy life.

Oh, and Welcome!

David
Old 26th Nov 2019, 6:03 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Picture of the 17" version, the DM4C.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DM4C.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	194411  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 3:14 pm   #5
beery
Heptode

Hi Bill,
Welcome to the world of vintage TV restoration.
Your set should be a great one to restore as your first set and it should help you learn as you go.
Lots of help available here, so do ask away if you want advice.

Cheers
Andy
Old 28th Nov 2019, 4:46 pm   #6
Vintage Engr
Heptode

This model is a good solid unit to get you started, I used to work on these way back in the early 60's.

Just don't forget that it uses a 'live chassis' technique, so that two-pin connector must be in the correct way round to ensure the chassis is at neutral potential. Better still, use an isolating transformer when working on it.
The mains connector is the same as used on Bush, Murphy & others. Bulgin used to make a generic version, & they are easily obtainable. I usually mark the live side with a blob of paint, and a corresponding mark on the TV back cover, or the chassis.

Regarding capacitors, obviously the main reservoir/smoothing should be checked, but also the older Decca's used a lot of early Wima capacitors, which look like black toffees. These used to 'pose' as high-value resistors! i.e. they went very leaky or even s/c.

Good luck, we await the results. Yes it's worth it for the sheer satisfaction!

David.
Old 28th Nov 2019, 4:50 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

We had a DM2/C for many years back in the 60's. I remember the tube going flat and then my brother boosting the tube....wait for it....with a 15W lightbulb and some mains. It gave brilliant pictures for a while then he fitted a boost transformer first on the lowest setting then eventually on the highest setting. Just before we finally got a new TV I remember switching on one dark winter afternoon and seeing the glow from the CRT heaters shining on the wall through vents in the back, bright to start with and then dimming down....there must have been about 10 volts across those heaters at the end but still the tube kept plodding on...…

We did terrible things to tubes in those days just to squeeze a bit more life out of them....they were expensive to replace.