UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2011, 10:32 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default R1155 HT supply

Just making up heater and HT supplies for this set. I have a 6.3V 4A heater transformer ready to go in so thats sorted. I have assembled a DC supply (transformer, bridge rectifier and 50uF/350V cap) that provides 240V at 80mA, this sits at about 340V on no load. On test with an external PSU the set is up and running very quickly, however I was concerned about wether having this amount of HT at start up was a good thing. Should I have a series load resistor or something? The set is only ever going to drive headphones so there is little extra load on the system.
Neil
Old 28th Jan 2011, 12:05 pm   #2
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1155 HT supply

You can use the PSU design software from the Duncan's Amps site to predict the effects of adding loading without guesswork or experimenting.

http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

If this is a simple 50µF filter it may not give that much smoothing and you might look at something else such as a two caps and a resistor, or adding a choke if you have a suitable one to hand. You can investigate with that software.

Another possibility is to use an NTC thermistor to give a gentle start.

When I had this problem I modified his solid state HV regulator to provide the HT.

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/mosfet.html

Of course, if you've replaced the paper caps, having 340V across the HT+ and HT- may do no harm, but it would make me feel a bit uneasy - asking for trouble.

Pete.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 12:36 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Thanks for that Pete, I have downloaded the software. I may go for the two caps and choke approach, this would give the HT a bit of a soft-start characteristic or I could easily reduce the HT since the transformer is multi-tapped.
Neil
Old 28th Jan 2011, 5:38 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Please remember that the chassis of the 1155 is at bias potential - connecting HT- to the case will result in a seriously deaf RX!
Old 28th Jan 2011, 5:48 pm   #5
newlite4
Octode

Yes, a good reminder from Sean there just in case one was tempted to mount electrolytic cans straight to chassis. I have selected axial leaded electros which can be mounted such that -HT is kept clear of the chassis.
Neil