UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2011, 9:00 pm   #1
tom8yvn
Retired Dormant Member

Default Realistic Pro 2005/2006

I have just aquired a tatty Realistic Pro 2005 that works well except that the display has just about had it. I thought a replacement display would be simple but Internet searches suggest that the display (EL501) has long been discontinued. Any knowledgeable/creative souls out there who can suggest either an alternative part or a simple circuit to feed an alternative display? Any help more than welcomed.

Tom
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 9:37 am   #2
davidw
Heptode

Default Re: Realistic pro 2005

Tom,

PM sent, hope it helps.
Old 24th Jan 2011, 12:06 am   #3
PETERg0rsq
Heptode

Tom

What is the problem with the display?

If it is just the backlight, these are relatively cheap and easy to replace as use an Electroluminescent (EL) panel available on E-bay.

I replaced mine a few years ago!

If the LCD display is faulty, a slightly "over the top" but interesting project is to use a PIC and drive an Alpha numeric display. Ive replaced a few obsolete LCD displays this way, but only viable as a learning project!
Old 24th Jan 2011, 1:31 pm   #4
tom8yvn
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the fast responses. David has pointed me to a source of replacement displays on the Internet (why didn't I find these?) which may solve the problem as it looks like the display itself, rather than the backlight has failed. I can just about make out the larger characters in the display when they change but after a few minutes the whole display blanks. I will follow David's lead but I would be interested in following up the PIC solution also as it's time to learn how to program and use these clever little devices. So where to start?

Tom
Closed Thread