UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2009, 10:47 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1962 Hacker RV20 Mayflower II 8 valve FM radio

Hello,

I've had this slightly scruffy Mayflower for some time, when I got it it sort of worked after its ECC85 had been replaced but its volume pot was really knackered, it was literally falling apart and causing distortion.

I replaced the EM84 magic eye as that was working intermittantly. I only found a couple of capacitors inside worth changing so they were duly replaced, all the valve pins and bases, and tone control (which is on the back) were cleaned with Servisol 10. I replaced the old pot with a NOS dual pole switched 1m log Add-a-shaft potentiometer and as no spindles come 7 inches long, I cut a piece off the old spindle and joined it to a short add-shaft-spindle with a brass coupling (there's only just enough room for it next to the transformer). It then worked but didn't play very loud ....

The wooden case was very grubby and one rear corner had had an impact so I cleaned it with upholstery cleaner and dampened the ding with water and that swelled it back into shape. The case then got a polish with SafeCut polish followed by some Topps medium scratch cover polish and it looks quite respectable now.

I took the set over to Ron to see if he could spot what was wrong with the volume .... it turned out to be the wiring to the volume control, I had managed to connect a couple of wires the wrong way round ... oops !

This Hacker sure has grunt, its 2 x ECL86 push-pull output valves will play very very loud through its huge 10 inch elliptical loudspeaker but at moderate volume levels it sounds very good indeed and copes well with all types of music, although it can sound a touch bass heavy at times. It also has good sensitivity and picks up Classis FM, a weak station here, with ease. It's rather a plain looking set but it outperforms just about every other valve VHF set in my collection ...

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RV20_Mayflower2_front 001.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	22440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RV20_Mayflower2_inside 001.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	22441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RV20_Mayflower2_back 001.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	22442  

Last edited by howard; 14th Jan 2009 at 10:58 pm.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:54 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 1962 Hacker RV20 Mayflower II 8 valve FM radio

Hi Howard,

Nice aren't they?! You need an RV14 too now.

I love the quality of construction of the chassis, a real work of art, as is the service manual.

I have to say that I thought your big Grundig sounds better though - although the chassis on most I've seen is scrappy in comparison.

Well done on another top-quality restoration.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:55 am   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

These are excellent sets! Great for listening to Radio 3 on in the evening. Given the excellent Howard touch as always.

(Radio 2 is Chris Evans... no way.)

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 10:03 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Thanks Nick, Steve,

My big Grundigs are the sets that the Hacker doesn't outperform, it's slightly more sensitive, but the Grundig Hastings in particular does sound better balanced mainly I suspect cos it has more than one loudspeaker including a tweeter. Nevertheless bass lines are easy to follow on the Hacker which is good for a set its modest size.

I see there's been a discussion about the sound quality of the Mayflower where it was felt by one or two to sound a bit lightweight, this example doesn't but it does need to be played fairly loud to sound its best.

I'm certainly looking out for a Mayflower RV14 now.

Howard
Old 15th Jan 2009, 11:30 am   #5
dallaslaff
Pentode

Hi Howard, Another nice restoration, you certainly have an eye for potential. Is the chassis an anodized finish, or have you painted it as part of the refurb?
Les
Old 15th Jan 2009, 11:46 am   #6
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaslaff View Post
Hi Howard, Another nice restoration, you certainly have an eye for potential. Is the chassis an anodized finish, or have you painted it as part of the refurb?
Les
Hello Les,

That's the original finish on its chassis, which looks rather like Hammerite silver grey paint.

It does look good although if one looks closely it's got a few scratches on its cabinet ....

Howard

Last edited by howard; 15th Jan 2009 at 11:52 am.
Closed Thread