UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2019, 8:36 pm   #1
silverfox684
Tetrode

Default Newbie would welcome Ferrograph advice

Evening Guys, just bought my first Series 6 631. I had one 50yrs ago, when they were about 85 gn's. I am going to order the troublesome capacitors, I have a service manual coming with the Ferrograph. Could one of you tell me the C numbers, value, and working voltage, so I can order them. Are Farnell still going, Regards,
Old 28th Aug 2019, 9:22 pm   #2
flywheel
Tetrode

Default Re: Newbie would welcome Ferrograph advice

Evening silverfox684,
Farnell are indeed still going (also under the CPC brand), and don't forget RS...
But you should find few if any troublesome capacitors in a Series 6 Ferrograph. By the late Series 4 run in 1961/2 they had switched from electrically leaky paper-in-oil types to polyester (the 'mustard-coloured' Philips/Mullard types on the tag-boards), which leaves only the electrolytics as at all likely to need replacing. You may find, though, (as I do) that even these often still work just fine - way beyond their life expectancy.
Something seems to have happened around the early sixties with passive electronic components to make them much more reliable (space-age/military influence on manufacturing techniques maybe).
Old 29th Aug 2019, 12:51 pm   #3
silverfox684
Tetrode

Thank you Andrew, My Ferroghraph comes Friday, just ordered a scope, when the manual arrives i can make a list,of components also found a Ferrograph site he does a pack of mixed capacitors and resistors that need replacing, i will keep you posted. It's over 50 yrs since worked on these, again thank for your reply Regards Earl B,
Old 30th Aug 2019, 12:10 am   #4
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Hello,

Interested to hear of someone fairly close, esp as I drive past Thirsk fairly often on trips between home (Guisborough) and step-son in York.

I don't have a Series 6, but I do have a Ferro Logic 7, which was recently working fine (after a service) but is now ill again - I understand something gone in the power supply. I need to send it back to Service Sound on the south coast, but the machine did not 100% survive it's last trip there, and there's only the one carrier that will accept the weight of these things! I'll get around to doing something, my other R2R machine, a TEAC A3340, still works OK (I mean OK as opposed to perfectly...)

My machines are not quite 50 years old, but not far off. I wish I was ONLY that old, mind you!!

Best of luck getting your baby sorted!!

Geoff
Old 30th Aug 2019, 4:06 pm   #5
silverfox684
Tetrode

Thank you Geoff,
Old 4th Sep 2019, 11:08 pm   #6
silverfox684
Tetrode

Evening Andrew, The Ferrograph has landed, nice, been reading as you do, seems there is a coupling capacitor, everyone says change! Any idea which it is? I have a diagram.

Ragards, Earl.
Old 5th Sep 2019, 11:18 am   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Do a forum search for "that capacitor". It's the one coupling to the grid of the output valve, only applicable to paper capacitors of any make or type. It has the ability to cause potentially expensive damage through leakage. If you have polywhatever capacitors you should be OK on that score. Post 2 suggests that this is the case.
Old 5th Sep 2019, 8:20 pm   #8
Silicon
Nonode

Capacitors placed across the mains supply have a hard life and are prone to failure.

Look for them in the machine, even if they are not shown on the schematic.
Old 6th Sep 2019, 12:26 pm   #9
silverfox684
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Do a forum search for "that capacitor". It's the one coupling to the grid of the output valve, only applicable to paper capacitors of any make or type. It has the ability to cause potentially expensive damage through leakage. If you have polywhatever capacitors you should be OK on that score. Post 2 suggests that this is the case.
Thank you, Bill. I found it C22 0.047pF it says it's Polyester, Cricklewood Electronics have them and a whole range of stuff, very quick service. Changing the 16uF+16uF Electrolytic, to be on the safe side, then going to oil the motors, and check out the holding Solenoid

Regards Earl
Old 6th Sep 2019, 8:25 pm   #10
Station X

0.047uF perhaps? 0.047pF is infinitesimally small.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Sep 2019, 8:03 pm   #11
flywheel
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Yes, 0.047uF is correct, but as mentioned earlier it is unlikely to be faulty on this machine.

One capacitor that WILL need replacing - if it's the blue plastic Dubilier original - is the switch suppressor under the deck (I forgot about this in my earlier post). These seem to go short and, with the machine switched on but without the motors running, after a few hours it will likely explode with a VERY loud crack! No physical damage is usually done to the deck, but you wouldn't want your face near one when it happens!

Best to replace with a combined 0.1uF capacitor / 100 Ohm resistor switch suppressor (Cricklewood may have them - Maplin certainly used to).

Last edited by flywheel; 7th Sep 2019 at 8:21 pm.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 8:04 pm   #12
silverfox684
Tetrode

Evening Andrew just ordering some bits. What can I use to replace C4 it's a 0.75uf 450V the book says its paper, but it's in a can it says Hunts (the maker) Therminol, it's across the capstan motor.

Regards, Earl.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 8:24 pm   #13
silverfox684
Tetrode

Quote:
No the manual says .oo47pf its the coupling capacitor coupling to the grid of the EL84

Regards Earl
Old 9th Sep 2019, 8:26 pm   #14
Station X

The manual is wrong then. Can you post an extract from it.

EDIT. The manual I'm looking at says C22 0.047uF.

Old 9th Sep 2019, 8:45 pm   #15
ms660
Dekatron

C22 the EL84 g1 coupling capacitor is shown as 0.047uF 400v 10% polyester in the manual I'm looking at.

Lawrence.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 8:56 pm   #16
Station X

Perhaps the OP has a very poor copy and has mistaken p for u? That doesn't explain the two zeroes, or perhaps I should say lower case letter o to the right of the decimal point.

Old 9th Sep 2019, 11:38 pm   #17
jamesperrett
Octode

Just a thought... While everyone here is typing u, the manual probably uses the symbol μ which can look very much like a p to someone with little experience.
Old 10th Sep 2019, 9:55 am   #18
silverfox684
Tetrode

Quote:
The manual is wrong then. Can you post an extract from it.

EDIT. The manual I'm looking at says C22 0.047uF.
Morning guys the big grey book page 52 c22 0.047uf 400v 10% polyester, not lack of knowledge trained for many years as a radio/tv engineer but a long time ago, just taken up the hobby again, must be old age, i do know the pf from uf, i will change it back, while i am on what can i use as c4 it s across the capstan motor, its says 0 .75uf 450v paper ac working paper,its in a can, sorry about the reading error might be a trip to specsavers.

Regards Earl
Old 16th Sep 2019, 3:09 pm   #19
silverfox684
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywheel View Post
Evening silverfox684,
Farnell are indeed still going (also under the CPC brand), and don't forget RS...
But you should find few if any troublesome capacitors in a Series 6 Ferrograph. By the late Series 4 run in 1961/2 they had switched from electrically leaky paper-in-oil types to polyester (the 'mustard-coloured' Philips/Mullard types on the tag-boards), which leaves only the electrolytics as at all likely to need replacing. You may find, though, (as I do) that even these often still work just fine - way beyond their life expectancy.
Something seems to have happened around the early sixties with passive electronic components to make them much more reliable (space-age/military influence on manufacturing techniques maybe).
Andrew, sorry to be a pest, into the Brenell now, changing the electrolytics, and the 3 motor caps, what about the Red Hunts caps?

Regards Earl
Old 16th Sep 2019, 8:15 pm   #20
AC/HL
Dekatron

Please raise a separate thread for the Brenell, mixed threads get complicated!
Closed Thread