UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2019, 5:38 pm   #1
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

Question VHS Back Tensioner Problems

Hello folks,
A few nights ago I was enjoying a few episodes of Fawlty Towers being played back on a
Sony SLV-D980P it then proceeded to make a squealing sound after about 40 minuets of
playback, I thought to myself it's about time I give it a service soon but didn't take much
notice of it (I bought it new in 2003 and this is it's first issue).
After another 10 minuets or so the picture started doing a sort of chopped up wobble that
slowly got worse until it was un-watchable. I took the lid off and everything seemed OK,
the tape was in the correct position it was only when I pulled back the back tensioner pole
that the picture cleared up and went normal. After taking the tape out I could see the felt
pad on the plastic strip had partly come off.

I have a Samsung VR330 in the bedroom so instead of messing about with the Sony I
went and got that so Basil Fawlty was soon back on the screen trying not to mention the
war, unfortunately this machine went and did exactly the same thing that the Sony had
just done, the above description also describes the Samsung machine.
After taking the lid off the Samsung I could see that it had almost the same deck that the
Sony has and the back tensioner band is the same part also with it's felt pad off the plastic.

Has anyone had any success sticking the pad back to the plastic, I imagine super glue
would soak into the felt and make it hard?
I have posted a picture of the deck do any of you know who the original manufacturer is
and do you know it's part number?
Can anyone recommend good VHS parts suppliers?

Many Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5674.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	189236  
Old 31st Aug 2019, 6:16 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: VHS Back Tensioner Problems

I would suggest a little impact adhesive on the band and on the back of the felt, allow them to dry until they are slightly tacky to the touch, then press them together in-situ using the reel for support
Old 31st Aug 2019, 6:41 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

You already found a clue as to the OEM, and I can confirm: Samsung.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 8:08 pm   #4
Horris
Hexode

Definitely a Samsung deck. I have used Evostick adhesive with a great deal of success to repair back tension bands.

Dave
Old 1st Sep 2019, 5:34 pm   #5
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

I stuck it back on last night as advised, I didn't do it in place in case I got glue on the reel.
I held it with a crock clip over night to ensure it set in roughly the correct circumference.
Also cleaned up everything in the tape path in the usual way. It is now working very well
and the sound is brighter so the A/C head did need a good clean, all the rubber parts seem
good and supple so I'm happy about that and the grease is still grease in the correct places.
I really shouldn’t leave it this long for a service.

Well that’s the Sony done now for the Samsung, I didn't do them together in case there was
some problem with the glue attacking the plastic or some other issue but seeing as all went
smooth I can now get on with the Samsung.

Thanks for the posts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5678.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	189290  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 9:20 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

What's that ring in the photo? It looks like a flange from a Hitachi impedance roller. A common problem with an easy fix (on a Hitachi anyway).
Old 9th Sep 2019, 9:20 pm   #7
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

It's not a ring it's the back tensioner band that is having it's both ends held together while the glue dried.
I wanted it to dry in roughly the shape of the reel.