UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2019, 2:11 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Not a Henley Solon...

Having pulled this out from its hiding place in the garage and used it for the first time in anger (can't remember when/where I acquired it), I thought I'd put up a picture and perhaps entice a few other obscure makes to be treated likewise. This one is a "Vicsol" and runs at about 250W.

(The use was somewhat off topic- soldering a piece of 16g silverplated copper wire (vaguely topical- used for RF power coils) around the end of an angled steel pipe in the boost side pipework of a turbocharger to form a lip to stop it from blowing out of the rubber pipe clipped round it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vicsol.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	189500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vicsol-job.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	189501  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Sep 2019, 7:06 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Not a Henley Solon...

Apparently you can still buy bits for these. Though at £40 or so I'm not likely to bite!

Looks like a version is still available as an Antex ST25.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Sep 2019, 10:39 pm   #3
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Not a Henley Solon...

Reminds me of one we had on site in one TRS for jobs on the ends of submarine cables( where the inner was circa .5inch,from memory ,soldered to the PSF) , but which ended up being used more for in station work on those ( remember them ) sealed cans on 51 type equipment. We got fed up diagnosing faults to within the sealed can ( as far as we could,sending can off to see it returned with same fault . We found it simpler to open the can, replace the faulty component ,test it with the can off , find it fault free and reseal the can.
Closed Thread