UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2014, 12:18 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default List of valves

I'm looking to find a comprehensive list of valve types. I want this so that I can print it off and put a tick or two - as appropriate - against the ones that I have in stock. That way, I don't have to go searching amongst my valves to find what I'm looking for or indeed a whole host of equivalents. I used to keep this list in the 70s when Tudor Reese's yearly catalogue contained such a list. Unfortunately that's long gone. But that's what I'm looking for, a list that is just valve name/numbers ie no descriptions, type etc. I don't want it to become another project spending hours turning it into that I want. So, a simple alpha numerical list of valves used in UK/European sets. I don't mind if there's some US valves there, but I don't really need it. Thanks.
Old 18th Nov 2014, 12:37 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: List of valves

It sounds like you need a copy of the back pages of something like the Illiffe valve data book, either the contents listing, or better still the equivalents listings.

I think there was also a Bernards/Babani book of valve equivalents which would also give you a fairly extensive list.

David
Old 18th Nov 2014, 12:43 pm   #3
Station X

If you buy the valve data CD-ROM you'll find it contains scans of numerous valve data books. You could print out the index pages from one of those.

http://www.service-data.com/product....ve-data-cd-rom

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Nov 2014, 12:49 pm   #4
SurreyNick
Heptode

Hi Steve, my reference Excel sheet attached. It's pretty comprehensive.
It contains a list of 16,383 valves and shows their equivalents too.
As it's in excel you can use the find function to find any valve.
Nick
Attached Files
File Type: zip Valve Tube Equivalents.zip (884.4 KB, 2515 views)

Last edited by SurreyNick; 18th Nov 2014 at 12:57 pm. Reason: Addition
Old 18th Nov 2014, 12:50 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

I sometimes use this:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets0.html

Lawrence.
Old 18th Nov 2014, 1:36 pm   #6
maninashed
Rest in Peace

To SurreyNick, that spreadsheet does contain some errors that may confuse novices, just an example EZ90 is listed as a double triode, when in fact it's a rectifier. The equivalents are correct, but nomenclature is not. I've not done a full comprehensive check, but if people use it they need to double check the results. I don't mean this as a criticism.
Bill
Old 18th Nov 2014, 1:41 pm   #7
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I may be off topic here, but maybe not. I have a similar sort of problem. A few hundred valves taking up space. A few I must save, many I hope to sell, but which ones should I throw away?
All the CTV valves (PCF80, PL805, PL509, PY800, PD500 etc.), any use to man or beast, or all off to the Amenity site?
Les.
Old 18th Nov 2014, 2:10 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Go for Paul's DVD worth every penny and saves messing about going through old Trader sheets as well as valve equivs.
Old 18th Nov 2014, 2:11 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Les, there are folks who would love those valves. On the forum.
Old 18th Nov 2014, 3:51 pm   #10
SurreyNick
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninashed View Post
To SurreyNick, that spreadsheet does contain some errors that may confuse novices, just an example EZ90 is listed as a double triode, when in fact it's a rectifier. I don't mean this as a criticism.
First off, I uploaded the spreadsheet in response to a request posted by stevehertz who is no novice. It is and always has been for my personal use and I was not recommending it to anyone else, not even to Steve. I was offering it up as a courtesy.
Secondly, it is about as comprehensive a list as can be found anywhere else and it's also free. Every valve is listed in alphanumeric order in the first column so there is no need to mess about with equivalents, they just happen to be recorded alongside each valve in subsequent columns for ease of reference. If Steve doesn't want any of the additional data he can simply delete the columns.

And of course it was a criticism.

Nick
Old 18th Nov 2014, 9:21 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Nick, many thanks for posting the list, it is most useful and will save me from having to do the same when I eventually get the time!
Like all spreadsheets it may have the odd error and engineers tend to be aware of that (pity bankers aren't!)

Was yours based on the wireless world books? The WW valve listings that were printed in that magazine in the 30's and 40's would be a source of many more obscure types, long obsolete, but still quoted on some of the early circuits that some of us are interested in.

The GPO valve cross reference book is also a good source of valves and equivalents, especially to CV types.

Ed
Old 19th Nov 2014, 7:14 pm   #12
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks Ed. I appreciate the positive feedback.
Nick
Old 19th Nov 2014, 8:17 pm   #13
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Nick, I have a collection of several thousand valves and I have been putting off sorting them, one excuse being I didn't fancy creating a computerised list, so you have saved me a shed load of work! Thanks!

Roger
Old 20th Nov 2014, 7:07 pm   #14
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks Roger, I'm glad it will come in useful.

In spite of the earlier criticism I can find no other errors other than the EZ90 valve I had described as a double triode and not a rectifier. However, that's not to say there aren't others. With nearly 119,000 data points it's a massive list and even allowing for a 99.9% accuracy there would be over 100 errors and so it would be miraculous if there weren't a few more. I just can't spot them.

So, in the interest of trying to meet everyone's quality standard, if anyone does spot errors do please let me know and I will tidy them up and post an updated version.

Nick
Old 20th Nov 2014, 10:44 pm   #15
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Nick

I am also in a similar position trying to tabulate my largish collection of valves for which there are maybe about 1000. Your list will be highly useful and thanks for uploading it to our forum.
I think though, it will probably take me a good few weeks on and off, tabulating my stock!

Regards
Symon
Old 20th Nov 2014, 11:19 pm   #16
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Nick,
I have downloaded it and put it with the valve data I already have. All useful.

Thanks
Frank
Old 21st Nov 2014, 2:29 am   #17
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
which ones should I throw away?
All the CTV valves (PCF80, PL805, PL509, PY800, PD500 etc.), any use to man or beast, or all off to the Amenity site?
Those of us 'into' 1960s TVs would prefer them NOT to go to an 'amenity site' Some valves EF80s, PCF80s PY81/800 etc we've all probably got loads of but some are a bit rarer - the ilk of 6/30L2, 30FL1, PL508, a real PL802, 30PL14, 30PL15 etc. Before they go could I ask you offer them up, maybe individually, for the cost of the postage,

Nick
Old 21st Nov 2014, 1:24 pm   #18
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Nick, I am hoping to bring then all into the house this afternoon, and will then sort everything out in alphanumeric order, used and unused. I have quite a few ECC81/82/83/85/88, and hopefully they can be turned into cash. Similarly I have many EF183/4, plus all sorts of radio valves some obscure, including a dozen or so nuvistors. TV types almost certainly include PL802 and PL508 as well as numerous 509/519s. I will come back when I have the list, and if anybody wishes to PM me, no doubt something can be agreed. I have got my TQ CT71 ready to go with a base for the ECC88, and I can do likewise for the ECC83, and maybe a few others, but I really don't intend testing hundreds of valves this way. Now if I still had my VCM2/3 or 4, or better a 163, it would be almost a pleasure not a chore.
I am hoping to turn many of these into cash, but I recognise it would be the law of diminishing returns if I started trying to test AND SELL PCF805s etc.
Les.
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 3:59 pm   #19
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Nick, yesterday I started collating my TV valves. I opened your linked spreadsheet (is it a database or spreadsheet, I just get confused) with Libre Office's CALC, copied the layout to an empty Calc sheet, and as I sorted my valves, copied across the relevent data from your stuff. Thanks, it saves a load of digging into databooks and internet searching.
So far I have come across a few omissions, so here they are if you wish to fill them in on your master:--
PL36, PL504, PY81, PY88 and PCL82. (OK, I guess PY81 is the same as PY800, but only if you already know).
Now if anybody wants a pdf copy of my first 75+ TV valves, PM me. A few more to add, but not many, then I move on to the other couple of hundred non TV-specific valves.
Les.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 11:13 am   #20
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks Les, additional valves incorporated.
Nick
Closed Thread