UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2020, 11:45 am   #1
mpegjohn
Hexode

Default Mounting a PL509 horizontally

Hi,
I am going to use a PL509 as a variable voltage source.
I would like to know if it is possible to mount these very hot and large valves horizontally.
If so is there any particular way around they need to go.

Thanks,
John.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 12:07 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Mounting a PL509 horizontally

Horizontal should be no problem but maybe support the top end of the valve (the top cap end):

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/wp-conte...TT-INNARDS.jpg

That TV in the link is normally operated with the chassis in the vertical position, so the PL509 etc will be horizontal.

EDIT: Link added.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 23rd Oct 2020 at 12:21 pm.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 12:55 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

The general rule is that where the grid is wound around two quite widely spaced rods, so the resulting spiral is very much 'racetrack' shaped, the valveholder should be positioned so that the long direction of the racetrack is vertical. That way if the thin grid wires get hot they won't tend to sag, under gravity, in a direction which brings them closer to the other electrodes.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 1:02 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The infamous Pye 697 chassis had the PL509 horizontal. No idea if the design took into consideration grid alignment but I had little problem with the valve in that chassis. Enough other problems though.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 1:22 pm   #5
mpegjohn
Hexode

Thank you all.
Horizontal it is then Taking care to position it correctly.

John
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 1:49 pm   #6
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Mullard advise in their technical literature that for indirectly heated valves with high mutual conductance, the first grid major axis should be vertical. This would apply to PL509.

Rich
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:08 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

They are used horizontally in all sorts of designs, but I don't like it!

I had to replace one that was mounted on its side in a linear amplifier a few months ago, due to it going to air from its 'supported' top cap. I've also seen unsupported ones crack from a base pin due to, I suppose, heat and stress. I think there's a lot of luck involved in it and the above cases may have just been coincidences, also they all involved the 6 volt and higher current heater version which is the EL509 and sometimes the 6KD6.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 10:38 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

They're probably run quite hard in linears. Active air cooling might be justified.
Closed Thread