UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2020, 6:36 pm   #21
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: What is this HMV Model?

Very good!

That's almost restorable!

The most difficult bit, the front grille, is actually near enough perfect.

Forum member 'yestertech' had the exact record changer deck for that gram complete on offer in the 'offered' section the other day with no takers as far as I know.

I can't pretend and I've got to be honest - there are some valuable component parts in that gram, that's if they're still functional, particularly those two 'removed' valves, so be very careful with them and don't bust them!

You're going to have to be very careful who you sell this gram to. There's some who would strip out the valuable parts to sell to a foreign buyer and chuck the rest on a bonfire. Having said that, it's up to you who you sell it, or parts of it to. You need to be particularly aware of the 'Staffordshire gram destroyer' (and I'm not talking about Steve, before anybody says anything). There's a chap who most people know who contacts people for these grams just to strip them for parts, which completely goes against what vintage restoration is all about, as the parts aren't sold on for other restorations, but for 'new builds' in far off lands, so not helpful.

There's no doubt that the gram is in a very poor state and has been badly affected by damp. The amplifier/power chassis is extremely rusty, so value wise it may be just the two valves that have any monetary value...but why were they removed?

It would be best to let this gram go to a genuine collector/restorer. The valuable valves would only have that particular value if they were carefully cleaned up and tested, which you won't be able to do, so the choice is yours, if the output valves are duff then the whole gram has very little value in its own right.

Last edited by Techman; 23rd Oct 2020 at 6:44 pm.
Old 27th Oct 2020, 12:01 pm   #22
MichaelGerard
Diode

Default Re: What is this HMV Model?

Thanks, Techman. I'm going to have to get it out of the derelict cottage it currently inhabits into my workshop where there's light and some degree of cleanliness. Then clean it out and get an idea of what there is in there. Trouble is it is a heavy object and it's all uphill, including a dozen or so steps. How it got down there in the first place is a mystery that the previous owner of the property cannot shed any light on either.

Top and bottom is it'll take a while so there will be silence from me on this post. Thanks again to everyone who responded. It was very useful. Any other ideas would be welcome.
Closed Thread