UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2020, 3:57 pm   #1
112stereo
Pentode

Default HMV 2451 stereo system.

My dad purchased this in 1971 new and has served him well.
After his death i inherited it to prdvent it going to landfill.
Its been in my office for a little over 4 years znd i thought it was time to use it.
The deck had seized so this was my first job and it was a bit of a job to get it all clean again, but eventually I managed it.
Turning to the rest it all works and sounds very good in my opinion my dad had upgraded the speakers to B&W ..........never heard of them but it does sound good.
The issue i have now is a mains hum which is at a constant level so with the volume to minimum it is quite noticeable.
Substituted the main caps with equivalents but made no difference. Talking to a friend who used to repair appliances for aliving said most of the amps made by the thorn group did hum so it appears to be a design flaw.
Is there any way i can reduce or hopefully remove the hum to a point where its barely audible.?
Any thoughts please.....?add another cap maybe?
Old 22nd Oct 2020, 4:40 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 2451 stereo xystem

Is that the correct HMV model number? I can't trace it. There should be little or no hum on this. Was there hum before the HMV speaker cabinets were changed over to the Bowers and Wilkins units?
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 9:40 am   #3
112stereo
Pentode

Yes. They were purchased within the first year.
I do remember when it was first purchased i noticed the hum but dad couldn't hear it so its been there since new. This is the correct model i understsnd its a spin off from the 2354 model with the thorn series 75 chassis.
It has just one smoothing cap c150 5000uf which i thought strange as most of the amps i work on have two with a resistor between them. Could i not do the same, add another smoothing cap ?
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 1:00 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Does this mean that the original (Goodmans?) speakers fitted within the Stereogram have been replaced with B&W drive units? If so, I just don't get this as they are unlikely to even fit?
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 2:53 pm   #5
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: HMV 2451 stereo system.

The otherwise identical Marconi versions gave you the choice of an all in one radiogram or the same units as separates (other than make of deck - BSR in the 'gram or Garrard as a separate) so maybe that's where the confusion lies?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	218678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2312.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	218679  

BVWS committee chairman
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:21 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I'm still confused. Does this mean the OP has the "Seperates" version and ditched the 2 original speakers for two B&Ws? If so, and as I have tried to ascertain earlier, they will certainly accentuate any residual hum on this system!
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:43 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Presumeably the OP has the separates system. There should not be a clearly audible hum so there is a fault somewhere, possibly present when the amp left the factory.

B&W were and still are a very respectable hifi speaker manufacturer. There should be a model number on the back somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_%26_Wilkins

I use a pair of B&W DM560s in my main stereo system.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 4:19 pm   #8
G6ONEDave
Octode

I have the HMV 2451 listed as the Thorn 74 series. Also service info was released on the ERT service sheets 1925 and 1926. Just a thought but could the hum be a result of the B&W loudspeakers having a lower frequency response than the HMV originals.
Dave
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 6:05 pm   #9
paulsherwin

It shouldn't be producing obvious hum, though it's true that the speakers are probably overspecified for the rest of the system. I would suspect a power supply problem, possibly a leaky rectifier diode.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 8:45 pm   #10
112stereo
Pentode

After your thoughts on the speakers incidentally they are B&W DM12 I tried another set of speakers and the hum is still there! After substituting the main smoothing I had wondered about the rectifier, but would it have lasted so long ? I could try replacing the rectifier although I would need to purchase some diodes as I don't have anything suitable. I am thinking that it was faulty from new, but where can I go from here ?
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 11:12 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

Those speakers will have a much better LF response than the originals, making any residual hum more noticeable.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 9:12 am   #12
simpsons
Octode

Not sure about a design flaw. Thorn engineers were required to design to a price point and target market.

The radiogram in question is spec'd at 3 watts music power per channel. That is record player design.

So, the similar market HMV 2328 has a simple 4700 uF smoothing whilst the up market 23201 has active smoothing using 3 transistors.

The use of a better loudspeaker will highlight just how the engineers squeezed a quart out of the pint pot.

So, to your point changing the bridge rectifier.

Looking at "rectifier trouble shooting", an open circuit diode will mean 50Hz hum will superimpose itself on the HT. If the rectifier is encapsulated then unless you have a scope to see what is going on, all you can do is change it and see. Should the 4 diodes be accessible then using a test meter to check them is an easy matter and my best advice, if necessary,is to search the web for further details.

Chris
Old 24th Oct 2020, 9:46 am   #13
paulsherwin

The DM12s are bookshelf speakers and don't have a very extended bass response. They are very good speakers though, and vastly better than the rest of the system. If you google you will find lots of info about them.

Quite why your dad spent all that money on them for this setup is a mystery.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:10 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

If the bridge rectifier and the smoothing capacitors check out, then you are at a fork on the road.

In one direction you fix the hum in the same way it was fixed in the original system... fit some substantially worse speakers so you can't hear it.

In the other direction you spend time modifying the radiogram chassis to reduce the hum. It's likely that as you reduce one way it gets in, you'll discover others so a fair amount of effort will be needed.

There is a third way: give up on the radiogram chassis. There are plenty of decent little hifi amplifiers out there offering low hum done the proper way, and they'll be much more capable of driving your B&Ws to what they can do.

Do you want to preserve the radiogram as an antique, or do you just want to listen to some records?

So many radiograms have been chopped up and burned that seeing one with a preserved cabinet housing a 1980s tuner-amp isn't too upsetting. Different people have different views, but it's your set so it's your choice.

Bowers and Wilkins, B&W have always made decent speakers. They are considered quite classy nowadays... just have a look at the prices of their latest offerings!

David
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:44 am   #15
frsimen
Heptode

Looking at the circuit of the Series 75 chassis, does the hum level change by adjusting the bass control?

If it does, have a look at C155 (300uF). If the bass control makes no difference, you could try increasing the value of C134 and C135 (both 0.22uF) which smooth the supply to the bases of VT24 and VT25.

Paula
Old 24th Oct 2020, 11:58 am   #16
simpsons
Octode

From G6ONEDave the radiogram is a Ferguson Series 74. The audio stage schematic can be found by searching for just that - under images, it's all there listed by "bytes, bolts and leaves.

I can't attach it, for some reason, but at least it can be seen for what it is and I'm not sure what more I can add to the advice given.

Chris
Old 24th Oct 2020, 12:54 pm   #17
112stereo
Pentode

Thank you to everyone's help. Its given me plenty to try out. The speakers are not a problem i have two other makes which i have tried and they make no difference to the hum but sound quite different i will fit the ones that sound the best to me. I will tackle the psu next week and hopefully reduce the hum to improve things.
Have uploaded a picture of the unit, hopefully you can all see it and maybe you will get why i want to keep it and get it working properly.
Will let you know how i get on next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16035401351131415187281.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	218775  
Old 24th Oct 2020, 2:14 pm   #18
music-centre
Heptode

Personally I dont think it is the better speakers showing up deficiencies in it, I had the Marconiphone badged version that I used for around 10 years in our dining room with a reasonable pair of large bookshelf speakers and never noticed any hum.
It was a reasonable quality unit with a magnetic cartridge fitted, sounded good.
Steve.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=155136
Old 24th Oct 2020, 2:25 pm   #19
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It was good to see the photo at last in Post #17. It would have saved much interrogation of the OP if we had had this earlier. It may be worth checking the earth bonding of the record deck-plate on the tag card underneath. It will sound different on other speakers, but the use of those B&Ws is a mystery to me as they are not a natural partner for this.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 2:43 pm   #20
paulsherwin

It's a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing, but it does look nice and has sentimental value. Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, scope the DC rails and post the images here. You can tell a lot about hum from a scope trace.

I still think it left the factory with a manufacturing fault which quality control didn't pick up. It wouldn't be the first time that had happened.
Closed Thread