UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2020, 9:18 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default R209 MKII Battery Pack

I had been looking for a way of powering the R209 away from mains powered sources. I had considered something like a motorbike battery then a friend supplied a six used good 18650 Lithium Ion batteries.
I planned to connect six of these in series-parallel to supply 12V at around 5Ah. I had a slim compact Eddystone die cast box to mount everything securely making sure that the batteries were fully isolated from the box whilst being firmly clipped in.
The receiver draws 1.3 amps at 12 volts, 1.35 amps when the lamps are on. On no load, the battery pack measures 12V. At switch-on the voltage drops to 11.5V which is within the operational range of the receiver. It is compact enough to fix onto the side and is exceptionally lightweight.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0390.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	217379   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0391.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	217380   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0395.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	217381  
Old 9th Oct 2020, 6:28 pm   #2

Default Re: R209 MKII Battery Pack

How does the set get its HT?

Old 9th Oct 2020, 8:11 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: R209 MKII Battery Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
How does the set get its HT?
The R209 has a vibrator to provide the necessary 120-volts-or-so of HT (in my case I've replaced the vibrator - which is prone to have its switching-contacts dissolved by sulphurous gases emitted as the rubber vibration-dampers degrade with age - by a couple of TIP3055 transistors in a classic 'Royer' power-oscillator circuit).
Closed Thread