UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2009, 10:28 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Best type of paint to use on a metal scale backplate?

I need to repaint a metal Scale Backplate on a Vintage Valve Radio, and wondered what type of paint is most suitable. First thoughts are 'Humbrol' or similar enamel, but I would welcome any suggestions as to what to use. The panel is not easy to remove from the chassis, so would have to be repainted in situ, which almost rules out any kind of spray can. Hopefully I can paint over the small blank patches where the paint has come off.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 12:55 pm   #2
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Best type of paint to use on a metal scale backplate?

Hi Livewire, Humbrol is good paint and unlikely to attack the original finish, its slow drying though. A well known trick for touching up scratches etc on cars is to spray colour into the cap removed from the spray can then use a brush to apply the paint which is another option. Col.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 1:16 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I haven't found this at all critical, as the finish isn't obvious once the scale is in place. I've used ordinary household vinyl magnolia in the past with good results.

Paul
Old 1st Oct 2009, 9:23 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'd forgotten that Humbrol is slow drying, although that's not too big a problem. Possibly I will use some ordinary household paint instead, thanks for the suggestion, Paul
Old 6th Oct 2009, 12:36 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I use Plasti-kote Vanilla. You can see it on their colour chart here http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product.../pccode---6751

David
Old 6th Oct 2009, 7:22 am   #6
Whaam68
Hexode

Another vote for plastikote spray enamel....I used cream from B&Q
It worked really well as I put a coat of metal primer under it.
Mike
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 9:56 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have used the Pastikote brush-on 'creme dela creme' for the above job, which has worked out quite well. Having since also used it to repaint a glass scale plate*, from which the original was flaking off I will add my vote to Plastikote

*I have yet to refit the scale to the radio to see how the paint job looks 'in situ' but it should be OK
Closed Thread