UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2014, 10:14 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Removing white mould from inside a wooden cabinet

What is the best way to do this, and with what should the cabinet be treated to minimise the risk of recurrence? I've been asked to repair an AKAI reel to reel Tape recorder which has been stored in a damp shed. The electronics & mechanism seem to have survived OK apart from a little surface rust, but there is white mould all lover the inside of one side of the cabinet, which is wood, rather than MDF, as far as I can tell.
Old 25th May 2014, 10:19 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing white mould from iside a wooden cabinet

I would have thought a wipe over with a spray-on bathroom mildew/mould remover (which are essentially bleach, I believe) would do the trick.

Followed by a thorough drying-out, and storage in the main part of the house as opposed to lofts, sheds, garages etc.
Old 25th May 2014, 10:15 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing white mould from inside a wooden cabinet

Bleach is a source of chloride and few elements have a nastier record of initiating corrosion. No matter how well you can rinse it and how long you can allow it to dry, I still think there's a risk of fumes affecting the mechanics/electronics.

I wonder if a wipe over with dilute (3-10%) hydrogen peroxide would kill the mould, if not actually remove it? Peroxide decomposes fairly quickly in to water and oxygen so does not have the same long-term potential for corrosion. Eye protection and gloves advised.

B
Old 26th May 2014, 9:51 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing white mould from inside a wooden cabinet

I have had this problem on the inside of a TV cabinet stored in similar conditions.
Once the cabinet had thoroughly dried out, I removed the white powdery residue with a stiff paintbrush and Hoover, followed by spraying bathroom mould remover on to a cloth and wiping away any remnants, four years on it has not returned.

Mark
Closed Thread