UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2009, 2:47 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default HMV 439 radio+clock

Hi All, this 1930s Woody set has a clock face in front of the speaker cloth. The clock dial is made of brass. My question is what was the original finish? It looks like the brass may have been painted brown, but polished off on the raised parts of the dial leaving polished brass and inaccessible parts brown paint or 75 years of grime. John.
Old 13th Apr 2009, 3:11 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HMV 439 radio+clock

I don't know the 439 but I have seen other models with a clock superimposed on the grille. The usual finish, in respect of the clock, seems to have been a brown painted bezel (presumably to match other, Bakelite, fittings) with unpainted numerals and hands. I don't recall ever seeing a radio+clock with painted numerals/chapter ring and hands. Badly tarnished yes, painted no. Someone may prove me wrong though.

The attached image, from Classaxe, shows model 468.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uk_hmv_468_clock.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	24570  
Old 13th Apr 2009, 4:04 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you Darren, For that information, the photo of clock is same as my radio just slightly different tuning layout.
Old 13th Apr 2009, 8:22 pm   #4
Rejectostat
Hexode

It may be that the example pictured above has been quite heavily restored. The owner may have polished up a brass or coppered finish to a level that was not present originally. During the early 1930s it was much more common for an "antiqued" finish to be presented, not only for HMV/Marconi products, but also for other manufacturers such as GEC, and Ekco in the commonly seen A22 just after the war.

My example has what looks like an "antiqued" finish, and looks to have been reasonably well looked after, still retaining its good original unrestored cabinet.
Closed Thread