UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2021, 2:28 pm   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Cleaning B&O Hifi Cabinet parts

As usual they have the brushed aluminium finish etc in this case for a Beomaster 901 plus other parts.Looking for some guidance for simple clean and wipe over for the unit including wood works etc after completion of minor repair works etc.What the best sprays or cleaners to make these a bit more presentable,they are not seriously tarnished or stained and come from pet free and smoke free home enviroment.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 4:59 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Cleaning B&O Hifi Cabinet parts

A wipe over with a soft cloth with detergent solution is the best first move. I use Fairy liquid. Don't use abrasives.

To finish, I use a soft cloth that's been sprayed over lightly with WD40! It's great for getting rid of fingerprints. The drawback is the characteristic smell. You don't want to get it on anything but the stainless.

David
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:07 pm   #3

Mr Sheen for me.

Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:45 pm   #4
unitelex
Hexode

Ammonia works well on grubby finger marks, does not attack plastic or painted legends etc
Keep it off the woodwork
Use gloves and good ventilation
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 6:51 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Foaming cleanser works well, but be very careful with lettering. I was once cleaning a Technics cassette deck and to my horror the lettering started to wipe off. I managed to save most of it, but have been very careful ever since.

I also wrecked a Philips tuning scale ages ago when I leapt in without knowing any better.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 9:45 am   #6
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Foaming cleanser works well, but be very careful with lettering. I was once cleaning a Technics cassette deck and to my horror the lettering started to wipe off. I managed to save most of it, but have been very careful ever since.

I also wrecked a Philips tuning scale ages ago when I leapt in without knowing any better.
Thanks for the heads up Paul-yes made that fatal mistake myself many many years ago on my First day in a workshop! But much the wiser now and the foam claener is very good but mainly for cabinets etc as a general wipe over and rarely use on facias especially anythinhng old as like you say the decals etc were of a different state of etching properties rather than engraved or laser cut.But even then can be issues but great advice and duley noted-Thankyou
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 9:47 am   #7
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Mr Sheen for me.
Crikey is that still available?? That used to be excellent in the old days -must have a punt round and see if i can source some.Should add a certain old school scent to the workshop if nothing else! Cheers
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 9:48 am   #8
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitelex View Post
Ammonia works well on grubby finger marks, does not attack plastic or painted legends etc
Keep it off the woodwork
Use gloves and good ventilation
Shall Take a look at that many thanks
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 9:51 am   #9
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
A wipe over with a soft cloth with detergent solution is the best first move. I use Fairy liquid. Don't use abrasives.

To finish, I use a soft cloth that's been sprayed over lightly with WD40! It's great for getting rid of fingerprints. The drawback is the characteristic smell. You don't want to get it on anything but the stainless.

David
That sounds a good idea shall give that a try as so many chemicals etc but trying to remain as simple as possible,but the WD40,well it has its propertys but still the smell haunts me from many a customer from years goine by spraying into flaps of VCRs and tape mechanisms that still give me flash backs!
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 11:42 am   #10
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
but still the smell haunts me from many a customer from years goine by spraying into flaps of VCRs and tape mechanisms that still give me flash backs!
Oooh nasty! must be 20dB harder to clean than the traditional jam butty.

David
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 12:29 pm   #11
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
but still the smell haunts me from many a customer from years goine by spraying into flaps of VCRs and tape mechanisms that still give me flash backs!
Oooh nasty! must be 20dB harder to clean than the traditional jam butty.

David
Haha yes,we once had what was the most ridiculous thing at the time ive ever see to belive with a customer coming into the workshop reception with a very heavily wrapped in Bin bags Sony SCL7 VTR! His nephew had managed to spill a tin of paint into the open lid by an assumed accident and enquired if we could help! Well we unwrapped and duley rejected even before making to any bench it was wrecked! The most bizzare thing I have been asked to even consider for many a year gone by,rest assured like many others we have had some right mingers! But the B&O is more of an after service valet to put close to a quality repair so all help advices have been greatly appreciated,but the WD40 still remains-Uggh the thought of it
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 12:51 pm   #12
Beobloke
Heptode

CIF Lemon on a damp cloth works perfectly for the metal parts but, as above - don't scrub too hard!

Give the woodwork a clean with a damp cloth and some detergent if necessary, let it dry fully and then give it a wipe over with some teak oil.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 1:26 pm   #13
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
CIF Lemon on a damp cloth works perfectly for the metal parts but, as above - don't scrub too hard!

Give the woodwork a clean with a damp cloth and some detergent if necessary, let it dry fully and then give it a wipe over with some teak oil.
Great many thanks for the advice on the Teak Oil,is that suitable for the darker woods aswell or best to go for shade by shade to suit?Yes the Cif is quite friendly to use so long as diluted well.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 2:57 pm   #14
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:

Great many thanks for the advice on the Teak Oil,is that suitable for the darker woods aswell or best to go for shade by shade to suit?Yes the Cif is quite friendly to use so long as diluted well.
If it's just to put a bit of a shine and finish things off nicely, then teak oil will do the job for any shade of wood. Obviously if you need to disguise any marks or nasties, then matching the wood finish as best as possible will be necessary.
Old 25th Jul 2021, 9:01 am   #15
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If it's just to put a bit of a shine and finish things off nicely, then teak oil will do the job for any shade of wood. Obviously if you need to disguise any marks or nasties, then matching the wood finish as best as possible will be necessary.
SuperI shall give that a trial and post some pictures as and when completed,just need to check with the owner first regarding the procedure and outcome etc.
Closed Thread