UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2020, 12:04 am   #1
John1988
Diode

Default Issue with turntable speed

Hi there, just got a vintage Alba turntable and noticed it was running too fast to the point where the pitch was noticeably too high. Did a bit of searching and ended up cleaning the motor spindle (it's a direct drive) and it considerably improves, however it's still running slightly too fast. I used a turntable rpm app and it's running on average at about 34.5 rpm. It's certainly usable but the pitch issues are still noticeable, particularly on vocals. Is this just a common issue with these old turntables or is there a fix for this?
Old 8th Jul 2020, 1:09 am   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Issue with turntable speed

Hello and welcome.

More information needed.

As far as I know, 'Alba' never made a 'turntable' - if they did it's a new one on me!

Picture/s and/or proper model number/s would be more of a help to give an answer to your question.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 5:54 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This issue comes up regularly here. When the OP says "direct drive" I assume this is an Idler drive unit. ALBA mainly used BSR autochangers. There was at least a 3% + or - speed variation on these mass-produced units, so the OP's deck is well within tolerance.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 6:16 am   #4
peter_sol
Octode

Hello
Is this a record player or a deck only.
If its a BSR deck then yes it is normal.
Closed Thread