UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2010, 8:08 pm   #1
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Default Patching up and then installing a Meridian Compact system...

Well, that was the longest 48hr delivery I've had in a long while, the system arrived today at last, and what I got, well, seems a snipper-happy monkey has been at it when decommissioning the system, cos not only have they cut the power cable off (though it is long enough to put a plug on), but they also cut the one thing I wanted to be intact, the Music On Hold connection wires!!!

Thankfully, it's only two wires, so I can solder on some new ones, so once I do that (may be in a few days cos I'm very much under the weather at the moment), then I'll continue with the rest of the system. After studying the connection box, I think I have it worked out, K1 thru K3 are Lines 1 to 6, and K9 thru K16 are Extensions 1 to 16. K8 is for the Power Failure PSTN phones, the MOH is K18-2, with K18-1 being I presume an external ringer (it's marked "Aux Ring" on the diagram). The rest of the IDC terminals, I don't know what they're for, I'll get a picture of it later, when I can have more light to work with...

Needs a damned good clean though, my hands are near black from all the dust on there, and the connection box cover needs a bit of glue cos there's a crack below the bottom hinge, which keeps nipping me as I refer to the diagram in there...

But like I say, it'll all have to wait, cos I'm far from feeling up to the task, thanks to the stupid winter bugs that are going round...
Old 17th Nov 2010, 12:00 am   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Patching up and then installing a Meridian Compact system...

Hi,
Aux ringer will almost certainly be for a "Common alert bell", often configurable from the software programming position. A picture of the connection blocks/internals would be good, as you say once your winter bug has subsided, then we can assist you in getting your Norstar up and running.

Just one thing to ponder, I think that the Music on Hold facility may only output to the exchange line ports and not to the extension ports, it may be possible to "loop back" an extension port to an exchange port though in order to achieve some kind of MOH on an extension.

Regards and get well soon

Andrew
Old 17th Nov 2010, 2:40 am   #3
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Between sessions of being "rather unwell", I've been tinkering with it, seems they used 6-pair (Grey/white and Red/Blue, and vice versa, being the extra pairs) and cable for both the incoming lines and the outgoing Extensions, I have pulled out the extension wiring though, no point trying to use those stubs for the Extn wiring, the Line and Power Fail wires I've left intact though, cos I can just use a junction box if I use them...

As for the loop-back of a line to an extension, given that the system uses what I presume is digital signalling to the phones, I think it would need an ATA in the middle of the loop-back, but it's still all new to me, so I could be wrong...

I should be able to get some pics tonight, if my head and stomach lets me...
Old 17th Nov 2010, 8:32 am   #4
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Got a good few pics now, I've uploaded them to my website, as I saved them in 1024x768 resolution, for a clearer picture, which the forum uploader doesn't like, but you can view them HERE...

I've tidied up the wiring that I left in there, and pulled out the wires from the MOH and Page terminals, leaving only what's left on the two audio sockets (which look like they need a good clean). I've also pulled out the six RJ11 patch leads from the CCU so I can put them in one by one in the correct order...

I'll figure out the rest when I'm a little more able to concentrate, but the more I look at it, the simpler it appears to be, but I hope the pics help...
Old 17th Nov 2010, 9:56 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I suddnely realised this morning about my suggestion of looping back an extention port , you are correct in thinking that you need a ATA to acheive this.

Andrew
Old 17th Nov 2010, 10:48 pm   #6
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

hehe, no worries, I've spotted a few nortel ATAs on ebay that I might get a couple of...

That said, I've yet to actually power up the system, so don't even know if it works or not, but that's part of the fun of buying stuff silly cheap off ebay, even if it doesn't work, I haven't lost that much money...

I've worked out why the Paging and MOH wired were snipped, the position of the main cables and the two audio cables were probably next to each other, and a cable tie may have been used to hold it all together, and upon cutting the tie, they may have gotten those wires caught up in the snip...

I've worked out that K19-K22 are straight-through connections (19 goes to 21, and 20 to 22), I'm still unsure of K4 to K7, but I'm guessing they too are straight-through connections for adding extra lines. Like I say, the more I look at it, the more it makes sense...
Old 17th Nov 2010, 11:21 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
A quick look at your picture suggests that K4 to K7 are similar to K19 to K22 and are just spare connecting loops (spares are a telecoms thing lol)

If the MOH socket is in a poor state how about replacing it with a stereo jack (wired for mono) so that you can use a straight through patch lead from your MP3 (or whatever) player? I think that you mentioned music source connections in a previous thread.

Your Norstar will more than likely work fine once connected, these things are quite reliable as they were designed for continuous use. It may need some reprogramming in order for your desired purpose.

Another thought on the MOH is a standard telephone wired in series with a battery of around 6 to 9 Volts to one of the exchange ports, that way you will at least be able to hear the MOH through that phone.

Andrew
Old 17th Nov 2010, 11:52 pm   #8
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

The audio sockets are in good nick, just dirty, a bit of Peek polish and a cotton swab'll fix that up in no time....

I'll be encoding the music on a CD as mono, so a stereo lead shouldn't be a problem cos both channels will be playing the same sounds...

As for testing the MOH, well, going one better, I can use the Linesman phone, connected to one of the line terminals, that can also check the ringing functions of each line input too, just incase...

I need to sort out the power cable though, it's only long enough to protrude from the connection box by an inch, so, my idea is to use a single-socket extension cable, affix the socket inside the connection box (in that empty space where an additional card or wider PCB would go), put a plug on the shortened cable, and connect it up inside the connection box. I've looked at possibly extending the cable, I could use my selection of US style wire nuts, but being a telephone system, I wouldn't want to risk the wires coming loose and shorting out on the PCB...
Old 18th Nov 2010, 12:07 am   #9
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Hi,

Your Norstar will more than likely work fine once connected, these things are quite reliable as they were designed for continuous use. It may need some reprogramming in order for your desired purpose.

Andrew

Seem to remember that Panasonic/ other makers used to recommend a full default on system programming ,prior to programming ,especially if system had been sitting dormant for some time to get rid of any programming problems and set it back to default .Might this be advised on this one ,or does the Norstar not get these problems .
Old 18th Nov 2010, 4:55 am   #10
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah, once I get round to powering it up, I'll be defaulting it, borrowing the following from BritishTelephones:

Quote:
To default the system back to original configuration within five minutes of powering up the system dial:

FEATURE
266344 (default)
I'm hoping that the system password is still 266344 of course...
Old 18th Nov 2010, 8:41 am   #11
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, a bit of luck with the mains wiring, while searching for the extension cable I was going to use, I came across a cable-joining plug and socket thingy (I have no idea what it's called, it's like those that you get on electric gardening equipment), and have decided to use that to join the shortened cable onto something a bit longer, so it's a bit more elegant than what I had proposed earlier...

The length of cable on the mains-in end is a bit short though, might replace it with an unused computer power cable I have lying about waiting for a use...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0948.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	42880  
Old 18th Nov 2010, 8:11 pm   #12
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Now here's a bit of fun, I managed to find the info on how to program the system, using an M7310, they even provided an image of the overlay card to operate the programming features, except, it's not suitable for the M7310n which is a totally different button layout...

Info was found here: http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/meridian_codes.htm

I guess when I get into the programming thing, I'll just have to press buttons until I find out what they do (and hope I don't find the Self-Destruct button accidentally!!!)...
Old 18th Nov 2010, 9:15 pm   #13
McMurdo
Dekatron

The LCD arrows will light up next to the active buttons on either type, just to remind you which ones are in use. It becomes obvious very quickly! Especially which one is 'exit'..press it by mistake a few times and you'll learn to avoid it!
Old 18th Nov 2010, 9:49 pm   #14
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I've managed to locate a decent user guide which depicts the overlay card for the M7310n phone, bit of masking tape and a pen and I'll be sorted...

The guide is located HERE if it helps...
Old 19th Nov 2010, 5:12 am   #15
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, a test on the living room floor indicates that it indeed works, I managed to reset it, I got the time and date set, I adjusted the Hold audio to Music, and that's about it...

That's the easy bit done, the initial testing, the next problem is to find somewhere to mount it all, I'll work something out though...

Not tried the other phone though, the M3820, not going to bother cos it uses a 4-wire setup after reading up on it, and that is definitely not compatible with the Compact's 2-wire system...

Just been altering the wiring again, between nuisance coughing sessions, got two sockets wired to it (one to ext. 21, and one as a tester to ext. 36), and I've also connected a standard 2-wire phone cable, just incase I decide to put it to real life use, either by landline or through a skype adaptor or something, but for the moment it'll just remain independant of any external telecommunications systems...
Old 11th Apr 2011, 9:45 pm   #16
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I managed to find somewhere to mount this thing, and it's been powered up and "running" for the past couple of weeks, but lacking a 2nd phone, so haven't checked it's internal call functions, but using my linesman phone, it does take external calls happily...

However, I'm now thinking about getting a different system, had a go at getting a BT 2+8, and a GEC Interline 6 (Minimaster 1), but failed (outbid), but I have a few other analogue/hybrid systems in the list of possible candidates. I just decided that having to find the ATAs at varying prices and requiring extra power to supply them isn't really something I want just for a few analogue PSTN phones, it's a bit fiddly, so I think that the Meridian Compact 6x16 will probably go back up on ebay, unless I can find somewhere good to donate it to where it'd be of proper use to someone...

Oh, and the music on hold, erm, it's too quiet from my sources, I think I need an amplifier of somesort to get the volume right, and reading a few other threads, it may be the case for most phone systems that have MOH...
Old 11th Apr 2011, 10:18 pm   #17
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
A couple of quite versatile systmes that often crop up on eBay are the BT Revelation and Inspiration, these will both work with standard POTS telephones and will also convert pulse dial trains on any excahnge port to DTMF on outgoing exhchange calls, the only caveat it that you require at least one system phone in order to perform the initial programming.

The standard systems usually come as a 2+6 (although there are some 1+6 units around) and are upgradeable to a maximum of 4 exchange lines and 12 extensions. The Revelation (later version software) only has internal MOH, I am not sure abut the Inspiration though.

Regards
Andrew
Old 11th Apr 2011, 10:38 pm   #18
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah, I've been watching a few Revelations and Inspirations come and go unsold, but I've been looking at Panasonics too, aswell as a few other brands I've not heard of ("Orchid" comes to mind), the panasonics mainly cos I have used a KXT308 when I was able to work, and that's pretty easy to use and operates with both regular analogue phones and has it's own systemphones to do the programming...

Might even have a use for my BT Studio DECT cordless, I used that model enough times when building and repairing computers...
Old 13th Apr 2011, 2:38 am   #19
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I found a 3W Stereo amplifier ("Kemo" M055) and wired it all together with ins and outs and all that, applied power, and hey presto, the MOH sounds a lot louder and clearer than just running direct from the CD player, although through a phone it sounds like a rather weak AM radio signal, especially through the systemphone's Background Music feature (Feature-86)...

But still, it means I have an amplifier (though I think I may go buy a Mono amp kit from maplin instead), so whatever system I have after the Meridian Compact, I'll still be able to boost the audio with ease, though I shall swap the audio lead for a Mono one, the Stereo one is a pain to get the wiring right so the signals don't cancel each other out...
Old 13th Apr 2011, 9:09 pm   #20
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

In the box, starting from top left:

A row of 6 RJ11 jacks - these are the lines to the CCU with Line1 on the
left, so has to be connected to the corresponding RJ11 on the CCU. The PXML
requires these to be 'tab removed' plugs ie tool removable only.

The top row of IDC terminals are as follows, from the left,

K1 Line1, Line2
K2 Line3, Line4
K3 Line5, Line6

K5 and K5 spare

then 3 rows of 4 columns IDC terms. Check the K numbering carefully:

The RIGHT 2 COLUMNS are for the extensions: K9 Port 1, 2; K10 Port 3, 4 ...
and so on to K16 Port 15, 16. These are wired to the *centre* (3&4) of
*Extension* Line Jack Units.

The LEFT 2 COLUMNS are

K19, K20 spare
K17-1 Page out ) one of these is a relay and the other
K17-2 Page ext ) is audio. The 3.5mm jacks at the top
right of the Box Conn are (top)
Music on Hold in, (bottom) Paging Audio
to external amp.
K18-1 Aux Ring
K18-2 Music On Hold

K8-1 and K8-2 are for power fail (standard analogue) phones and wire to 2&5
of *Master* LJUs. Port type is 1AS (loop calling, unguarded clearing) and
best overall performace of power fail phones will be obtained if the have
impedance class (a) as pr clause 4.3.2.1 of BS6503:1982

The default passwords are ADMIN and CONFIG.

The digital phones are wired to pins 3+4 on *extension* sockets.

Note also that some BT 6+16s were shipped with an 8-extension link cable
between the Box Con and the CCU (the big connector that looks like a
parallel printer cable) and can be upgraded to a 6+16 by replacing the link
cable.[/FONT]

You can test the MOH at any Norstar phone by turning Background Music on:

Feature 8 6 Background Music On
Feature # 8 6 Background Music Off
Closed Thread