UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2017, 12:53 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default 'SENO' Rub-down PCB transfers are no more.

For more years that I can remember, I've been using SENO rub-down PCB transfers for making PCBs when it's not worth creating artwork for UV production. Indeed, back in the 60s and 70s prior to getting into using UV, I made all my PCBs by photocopying magazine designs, taping the layout onto the laminate, drill through all of the holes, then having cleaned off the burrs, 'joining the dots' so to speak, using rub-down transfers. I'm getting low on some transfers - pads, I.C. pads and tracks, so went onto ESRs website and was very disappointed to see that SENO have stopped making the transfers - ERS only have a few of the less desirable ones left - bends with tracks:

https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/pcb-transfers.htm

MEGA don't have them any more, and no-one else seems to.

Years ago another firm called ALFAC made them, but they seem to have disappeared.

I guess that demand has evaporated. The transfers date back to a time when drafting film and a light-box were used to create a layout with rub-down transfers, then a mask photographically created from that. CAD has long since put paid to that rather primitive technique. SENO transfers were made by a high tech German company, Kepets GmbH and were quite a departure from their normal line of business:

http://kepets.com/

Oh well, just a sign of the times I guess - it's beneath my dignity to use Dalo pens so I guess I'll have to fall back on modelling paint, a magnifying glass and find tipped brush as and when. I've tried a fruitless search using various word strings such as 'rub-down PCB transfers' - don't know if anyone else might like to join the search for 'unobtainium!
Old 14th Jul 2017, 3:18 pm   #2
camallison
Heptode

Default Re: 'SENO' Rub-down PCB transfers are no more.

https://www.rapidonline.com/mega-ele...ransfers-61299

Colin
Old 14th Jul 2017, 6:54 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I notice the bottom item on that Rapid page camallison linked to says 'seven in stock, will not be replenished'. I didn't see any DIL IC pad sheets there either - probably the thing you'd want most if you were laying a PCB out with rubdown transfers.
Old 15th Jul 2017, 7:58 am   #4
percival007
Heptode

On a similar tack, I have recently found out that Dry, Rub-On transfers, for case decals etc etc, from Letraset have become unavailable.

I have used this technique for lettering on my home-brew stuff, got to have something on the front panel !

Is there some component/chemical used in the manufacture of these things which has become hard to get or found to be dangerous (!) or is it as David suggests that demand has lessened for this type of product?

James.
Old 15th Jul 2017, 11:38 am   #5
ParcGwyn
Hexode

I have recently purchased Letraset style transfers from W H Smith, the are being sold under the W H Smith brand.

Dave

GW7ONS
Old 15th Jul 2017, 5:23 pm   #6
Bryan M
Pentode

David, I have some redundant Alfacs. PM sent.

Bryan
Old 15th Jul 2017, 10:52 pm   #7
newlite4
Octode

David, you have a PM,
Neil
Old 17th Jul 2017, 1:45 pm   #8
Omegaman
Hexode

David,
PM me your address, please.
I've some sheets of Seno and RS branded ones here I'll never use again.
I'll pop them in the post for you.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 17th Jul 2017, 5:54 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I'm indebted to Bryan, Neil & Howard, all of whom have kindly offered to send me some PCB transfers, which I never expected to happen when I started this thread to mourn the passing of Seno. Yet another example of the fellowship that the forum engenders among 'kindred spirits'! Home-brewers are becoming an endangered species, but where there's life, there's hope!

Many thanks gentlemen.
Old 17th Jul 2017, 6:01 pm   #10
Omegaman
Hexode

David,
PM replied to.
Hope they're useful to you!

We know who to contact for PCBs now!!

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 18th Jul 2017, 8:20 pm   #11
Oldcodger
Nonode

David- to my mind these are same as Press & peel PCB transfers. Noticed a seller on the bay selling these . I've had stuff from this seller recently, and I can't rate him highly enough ( ordered two single items recently, and got an e mail to say he'd refunded postage on one item. Not a lot, but the principle is there), so asked him this is case. Will report back with URL, if I'm correct.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 7:38 pm   #12
Oldcodger
Nonode

Silly me - not the same, but this seller does have a selection of rub down transfers. He's pointed me to one, straight tracks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCB-Drafti...item43dcfcb79c
but I've noticed in his shop he's got at least pads .Might be a look into his on line shop .
I've foundhe's a very friendly ,helpful bloke.
Closed Thread