UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2015, 3:20 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Leeds Audio & Radio Fair

Hi. Is there any chance of having a radio & audio fair at Seacroft, Leeds again? It was very interesting to have such an event.
Jarvis Ramada seem to have left the former premises, and it is now Britannia Hotels (as the wording on the building now states).
I can not get to organize such events, but I am sure that other people probably know others that are?
Cheers
Mike
Old 26th May 2015, 9:56 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Leeds Audio & Radio Fair

Hi Mike, I think that event finally morphed into the one at Golborne, in April and Nov.

Ed
Old 26th May 2015, 11:32 pm   #3
murphymad
Heptode

The old event at the Ramada Jarvis was always well attended and interesting.
We had the BVWS table at every one and enjoyed the ability to have a Sunday lunch to boot!

However the people who ran the hotel became increasingly more difficult to deal with, the prices went up to an astonishing level and they stopped the Sunday lunch in the Restaurant.
We left and looked elsewhere...

If another event was to be organised, we would need someone on the ground in Leeds to do it and the new management of the hotel would need to be able to rent out the space at a reasonable price like we get at our excellent venue at Golborne.

I somehow doubt they would.

Mike...
Old 27th May 2015, 3:02 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Hi Mike. Yes it was a great day out, and I really enjoyed Sunday lunch (it really added to the event!). I passed by the motel recently on a bus ride, and it brought back memories.
regards
Mike

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th May 2015 at 9:48 pm. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of preceding post
Old 27th May 2015, 5:34 pm   #5
terry123
Pentode

Hi

I well remember us taking the BVWS stand for Mike in 2003, when we were still based in London . A very busy and enjoyable event but both myself and other half Peter were not overly impressed with the customer service in the hotel.

See one of the event pictures attached from the day in question.

kind regards

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leeds 2003-13.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	108862  
Old 28th May 2015, 11:19 am   #6
telstar
Octode

Hi. As I said it has probably been bought out by another hotel chain, so the standards may have improved.
As for myself, it can be difficult to get to Golbourne (transport wise), although I enjoy attending the event when I do get there.
regards
Mike

Last edited by AC/HL; 28th May 2015 at 11:35 am. Reason: Repetition of previous post removed
Old 28th May 2015, 1:13 pm   #7
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Leeds became a bit of a backwater whilst the city itself expanded into a shopping and business mecca - well sort of. Anyone remember the White Rose Radio Rally? These days there doesn't even seem to be any active amateur radio societies in or relatively near Leeds.

I used to like going to the Leeds fair, lately the NVCF is too far (it's not that it got further, but I travel a lot less!) but Golborne is not a bad trip from Leeds. Mind you I've only been twice and as a stall holder.
Old 29th May 2015, 3:53 pm   #8
telstar
Octode

Hi. I remember the White Rose rally, it was an excellent place to obtain spares, although I am not an amateur radio person. It was mainly held at Lawnswood school (A660), but sometimes at the University (near the white clock tower), and other times at Moortown school. Personally, I do not have a car, so Golbourne is difficult, a train to Newton, and a taxi to the event, which I have done at various times.
The N.V.C.F at the N.E.C was easier (and cheaper) for me, although I did attend the Leamington event this year and before.
The White Rose was also held at Keighley West Yorkshire on other occasions!
I do try to attend such fairs if it is financially viable for myself!
Mike
Old 29th May 2015, 5:00 pm   #9
audiomagpie
Heptode

I always find Golborne a very good and interesting event. Although not the largest get together, it is certainly well attended and always seems to have a good balance of radio, TV, audio/hifi, amateur and some military, spread across the decades. And lots of spares and bits and pieces. I always seem to come home with something totally unexpected!

Well worth a ride out if you've not been before.

BVWS committee chairman
Old 29th May 2015, 5:18 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

The G-QRP do in October in the Rishworth school (in Rishworth near the peak of the M62) is also a very good event for old bits and pieces.

Plenty of people go from Leeds, so a request on the G-QRP reflector will easily get you a lift.

I've found some good bargains over the years... a Taylor 45D valve tester for £20 for example.

David
Old 29th May 2015, 8:20 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, it might be an idea to post the date of the Rishworth event on the forum a bit nearer the date. I'm sure there will be a few that are interested in the north.

Ed
Old 29th May 2015, 10:14 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Rishworth has been recommended to me a few times but I've not got there yet despite it being relatively handy for Ramsbottom-I need to be in the right place at the right time. There is a Rally at Bickershaw near Wigan [scene of a famous 1970's music festival] in June [20th] but I won't make it

Unfortunately, Mike does seem to be in a bit of a dead spot at Leeds [like other forum members around the country]. It was like that here in the SE for years but Punnets Town has now appeared and SERF starts at Eastbourne next week.

I always get to Golborne when I can but often think somewhere like Rammy with it's steam Railway and direct motorway connection etc would be a possible family friendly option. Don't quote me on that though
Dave W
Old 30th May 2015, 2:03 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

The Rishworth event regularly gets visitors from the US, Sweden, Germany etc and has in the past seen people from Denmark, Holland, Spain and even Papua New Guinea and Australia.

We ought to be able to arrange a lift from Leeds. There are plenty of members in the area.

I'll do a reminder a month before.

David