UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2019, 1:57 pm   #1
marlow123
Retired Dormant Member

Question Truvox R44 capstan repair advice

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to reel-to-reel machines so apologies for any stupid question!

I recently bought a Truvox R44 (yes I know how hated they are...) for a very cheap price, expecting it not to work fully (which it doesn't) but hoping to get something out of it.

I messed around with it last night and it powers on all fine and the inputs and outputs work well but the reels don't spin at all. I opened it up and the motor is spinning as it should but the capstan does not. I tried moving the capstan manually and all seems to work fine elsewhere so I've isolated the problem to the capstan.

Could anyone give me some advice on why the capstan may not be moving? Again I am a complete beginner to any of this so I may be missing something very obvious but any help would be very much appreciated, thank you!
Old 15th Oct 2019, 3:38 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Truvox R44 capstan repair advice

I don`t know the Truvox specifically but usually on single motor decks you will have belts and / or rubber idlers to transmit the drive from the motor to the spools and capstan. These may be perished and broken or possibly the idler will not engage because it is stuck up with old dirt and grease.

This is what I would look at first.
Old 15th Oct 2019, 3:59 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The R4x series uses the Magnavox 363, which has idler drive to the capstan. Dried up lubricant is certainly the first suspect.
Old 15th Oct 2019, 4:46 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

Followed closely by worn ıdler wheels.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 15th Oct 2019, 5:29 pm   #5
wd40addict
Octode

Have a read of this thread for more info on the 363 deck, also used on the Windsor Vanguard.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=103812

I used to own a Truvox R44, it died due to the rubber idler on the motor shaft failing and I couldn't find something to substitute that could cope with the heat.
Old 16th Oct 2019, 9:49 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

I used to have a couple of these 363 decks salvaged from a language lab.
The capstan will not turn if the linkages on the speed change mech are seized. There is an idler attached to a long spring. This is what you must check, it needs to move freely and engage with capstan and motor shaft.

It has been decades since I last saw one so unfortunately cannot remember exactly where the linkages are, I suspect below the headbridge sub plate.

One day I will have to get hold of another one and try to solve the common problem of the motor shaft tyre. I like a challenge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magna363 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	192012  
Closed Thread